Costa Rica-HELP ME

Mar 10th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Costa Rica-HELP ME

I am trying to plan a short (5 day) trip to Costa Rica in mid December and have no idea of where to begin. Some of the things that I have read about that appeal to me is the Tabacon Spa, La Paz waterfalls, the cloud forest,a canopy tour in the rainforest and maybe Arenal. Where would I base myself out of to do some of these things? How do I get from one place to another? Can I hire a tour guide from the hotels, I would prefer to not drive myself. Do I fly in and out of San Jose? Please help!!! Thank you
Mar 10th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Thats a tight itenery, but it can be done. I like your choices, I would recommend 2 days in La Paz and 3 in Tabacon. Try to get your flight as early as possible for day 1 and as late as possible for day 5. I would simply hire a cab at the airport to take you to La Paz, have them arrange a transfer to tabacon, and have tabacon arrange a transfer back to the airport for your final day. You will love it, and you will be back again. San Jose would be the closest airport to both of those destinations. Have fun,
Mar 10th, 2004, 01:02 PM

I vote for 2 days in La Fortuna (Arenal/Tabacon), and 2 days at either Peace Lodge (La Paz) or Vista del Valle.
From La Fortuna you can visit or stay at Tabacon hot springs, see a live volcano, hike old lava beds, take a canopy, do some hanging bridges.
many hotels can help with transportation. I honestly don't know if Peace is set up to arrange anything other than transportation to their place but you can ask them. Vista del Valle does have private drivers. Tabacon might even be able to arrange transportation to their place.
Just contact them.
For those places, I would fly in and out of San Jose.
There are transportation companies also. Would be better if we had an idea on what your travel times are.
Mar 10th, 2004, 06:12 PM

We spent 5 days in CR in January. 3 nights in Monteverde and 2 near volcan Arenal. I worked out great for us. But it depends on your interests.

In Monteverde we visited the Cloud Forest and then did a night hike of the Children's Eternal Rainforest. Both with guides. We did the canopy zip line thing and bridge walk. Visited some special exhibit spots; e.g., the butterflys. Stayed at the hotel Fonda Vela--excellent with a very good restaurant.

Took the van-boat-van route to the Arenal Paraison Resort--this was interesting with lots of photo opportunities. Had a perfect view of the volcano from our bungalow. If you ask, they will wake you up at night when the volcano erupts. It was magnificent--we watched it from our bungalow porch and then from our bed for several hours both nights we were there.

At Arenal, we took a guided tour of the Arenal rainforest. The second day, we took the daytrip to Cano Negro--a boat tour during which we saw more wildlife than we could ever have imagined. Monkeys galore, birds, caymen, etc.

We arranged all transport and tours through our hotels.
Mar 12th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all of the help. Rufus, I particularly liked your itinerary, it is exactly what I would like to do. If you have any further info or details I would love if you could email me at [email protected]

Search this Thread