Search

Costa Rica driving times

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:55 PM
Linda

Costa Rica driving times

From my reading I know to expect roads in less than ideal condition, but I am having a hard time finding out how long it will take me to drive from one place to another. Can anyone tell me how long it will take to get from San Jose airport area to Manuel Antonio? From Poas Volcano to airport? Can you reccomend a good road map that I can purchase in the U.S.? Thanks for your help.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:54 AM
jean

I can't help you with driving times. But getting anywhere sure does take longer than you would think from looking at a map. From Poas Volcano to San Jose, the roads are fine, but they're narrow and full of curves. Also lots of kids and animals. It just makes for slow going.<BR><BR>The road map that we were recommended isn't the greatest, but I never found any better. I think I bought it from Amazon.com, but I could be wrong. The ISBN number is: ISBN 092146302-2.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:30 AM
Iza

Linda, unfortunately I cannot help you with those specific driving times. But I just wanted to let you know that you should not worry about buying a map of CR here in US. When you pick up your rental car the rental company will give you a fairly good map and will answer any questions you may have about driving in CR. At least ours did - we rented from Dollar Rent-a-Car.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:43 AM
Louie

Hi Linda,<BR><BR>i'm planning a trip in december and will have a ground transfer (private driver) from san jose to manuel antonio... my itinerary from the travel agency says it's 3 hours (from our hotel in SJ). this may or may not be totally accurate, but thought i'd pass it along anyway.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:39 AM
LT

The drive from the airport to Poas Volcano only takes around 30-40 minutes. We left early in the morning and there was very little traffic. I recommend taking a slight detour to Sarchi, if you want to shop. <BR><BR>The drive from the airport to Manuel Antonio will take 3-4 hours, depending on traffic. Traffic going into and out of San Jose is bad but once you get a little outside the city, it's not bad at all.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 08:13 AM
JBX

Problem is that even with a "good" map, the roads aren't particularly well marked. <BR>