Costa Rica Dreams

Feb 27th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Costa Rica Dreams

I know Fodors discourages advertising and such, but I've learned so much from this forum. Can anyone recommend a forum, about C.R. real estate, especially for the osa and gulfo dulce area? (We are just dreaming).

Thank you
Feb 27th, 2007, 05:16 AM

google?
Feb 27th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Let me know if you need a maid. I do windows.
Feb 28th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

LOL--I think thats what I'll be doing to if we really want to be down there. The costa rica market it kinda complicated--title, not titled, squatters, maritime zone, people can still lay claim to your property for up to 10 years..... We aren't real estate wizards nor rich, so we couldn't afford to loose our pants down there.
Feb 28th, 2007, 04:43 AM

Try Panama better infrastructure and prices.
Or Belize!
Feb 28th, 2007, 05:52 AM

The Osa is sooooo expensive. Wish we had bought in Drake Bay when we first started looking. Found a beautiful piece of property with a waterfall (90 acres titled) for under 100K back then. We did just buy further north in the Perez Zeledon area (San Isidro). Door to door we are just about 4 hrs from Bosque del Cabo, 1 hr 20 mins from Dominical, 3 hrs to Puerto Jimenez. 1 1/2 hr from Palmar Sur/Sierpe where we can catch the boat to Drake Bay. They are building a new hospital already and there is talk of another international airport in that area. 40 minutes to our friend Orlandos house. It is up in the foot hills of Chirripo with beautiful vistas of the valley and there is a cloud forest right across the river from us. It also has a small waterfall.

We got lucky and found someone who was interested in the environment and is planting 1,000 trees to help our property become part of a biological corridor with the Skutch (think birds) property. Even though the last thing I ever wanted to do is live in a gated community we decided it was the best thing to do at this point for us. With just 20 properties on over 200 acres it isn't going to be crowded. There is a caretaker who can watch the house for us when we aren't around and who can also take care of the grass, etc. Only 2 other properties have been sold and one is by some people who just live about 45 mins south of us here in Ohio. They are interested in reforesting as well and she loves horses even more than I do so I think we have found some new friends already. We have been emailing back and forth. With a beautiful horse farm right nearby I think we will have fun.

Yes there are a lot of things to think about which is why we ended up where we did. We had planned on building a small house just for a caretaker and family on some other properties that we had looked at but this will work out great. We have a lawyer in Escazu who made the whole thing very painless and they will handle paying bills, taxes etc for us when we aren't there. They will even take care of getting us a cell phone. We do have cell phone service up there and hope to have WiFi soon as well.

Jose who bartends for Bosque del Cabo sells real estate. He could have given you some info.

There are lots of properties for sale on the Osa and lots of listing on the internet. Just Google Osa Properties and you will have plenty to keep you busy.
Feb 28th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks suzie. We saw a property in mantapalo-but the owner said that they don't even give concessions for maritime property in the osa because the government cant afford to keep up with it. She did say something about permits. Like you said-most of osa is very expensive. Any opinions on the north end of golfo dulce near Ricon? We have been researching and heard about the airport.

Thanks
Feb 28th, 2007, 09:52 AM

This is actually showing some pretty good deals.http://www.osaproperty.com/listings-area.php

The gov. does keep track of the distance from the ocean! My husbands cousin has a place just below Bosque where it is flat just before the road starts going up. She started out 10 years ago having a commune but a couple of years ago decided to turn it into a yoga retreat. She has built several nice yoga platforms but the gov made her move back one that they said was just a few feet into the high tide area. She disputed it but lost.

Happy dreaming! I saw some properties on that site that I am now dreaming about too but I think we will be fine where we are. Cooler for sure.