Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica: Before I book, please tell me what you think about this!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2005, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I am getting ready to book my honeymoon to Costa Rica for January. Here is our schedule:
1- Stay in San Jose and Hotel Gran do Oro
2- Drive to Arenal and stay 3 nights at Arenal Pariso
3- Drive to MA and stay at Si Como No for 5 nights
4- Drive to San Jose and stay at Hotel Gran de Oro

What do you think?

We are interested in going white water rafting. Where should we do this? We are also interested in doing many different activities- Do we just book these when we get there or do we need to do it in advance (canapy tour, fishing, etc)?

What is the weather like in CA during this time? I am from Chicago so I am used to high humidity! What should I expect?

What about all the talk about getting shots before going? Is this necessary??

Sorry about all the questions in 1 post!
Thank you
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 06:49 AM

5 nights in MA is a long time. MA is very touristy, crowded, and more expensive than the rest of CR. I'd recoment only staying there for 2 nights and spending 3 nights somewhere else
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 07:10 AM
MNP

You can do either, book when you get there, or book now. We didn't book any our activities until we arrived.

And no need for any shots....
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:56 AM

we enjoyed MA a lot ( Makanda by the sea ) we spent 5 days there and 4 nights at Montezuma, I wish I had booked 9 nights at MA...
Good plan
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 09:40 AM

I think your schedule sounds great, npt too much rushing around and a nice primer for CR. Si Como No gets raves around here and I think it would be great for honeymooners. 5 days in MA is great IMO, I just spent 5 days there last month and had plenty to do (or not do if you want to relax!) If you have your heart set on a certain activity you can always book ahead, I've never been there in Jan so don't know how busy it will be. The fishing you might want to book ahead. In MA I'd suggest canopy safari for ziplines and Finca Valmy if you want to ride horses. And of course spend a great day at the park! With the places you're going shots aren't necesaary, just wear bug spray with deet & you'll be fine. Have a great time & a great honeymoon!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 10:00 AM

wed04, happy honeymoon! We just returned from Costa Rica. I have heard very good things about Grano de Oro, good choice. I also recommend Hotel Bougainvillea in Heredia, about 25 minutes from the airport and 15 minutes from San Jose. Bougainvillea has a very romantic garden for walking in, they even have a new maze with a gazebo in the middle of it! But there's more to do in downtown San Jose than there is in Heredia. If you stay at Hotel Bougainvillea you would need to book day-tours when you want to leave the hotel.

Si Como No is where we stayed. Great choice! Great staff! We were there for 3 nights and tried various restaurants in the Manuel Antonio area. We liked the restaurant at Si Como No better than anything else we tried in Manuel Antonio! It's the same restaurant where they serve the breakfast buffet. For dinner order the banana flambee dessert. Trust me, it's not just a dessert, it's entertainment! It's $6. I won't give away the surprise.

The Manuel Antonio park reserve has a rainforest that does appear sadly affected by man. HOWEVER it is definitely worth visiting because the forest isn't so dense, therefore you will see monkeys, a sloth, and some fascinating reptiles. the best beaches are inside the park. Wear a bathing suit under your hiking clothes because you will get so hot after your hike you will want to jump right in the ocean! You don't need a tour guide at this park, just exchange info with everyone you pass about where different animals have been spotted. This is what we did. Ignore the steeper hike recommended in the frommers guidebook which is supposed to have spectacular views in the park. I'ts not worth it. We thought the views were better from our room at si como no. However the other trails in the park are worthwhile and they aren't as difficult.

5 nights at si como no are fine if you book some day-tours. Or, a better idea would be to do 4 nights at ARenal, there is lots to do there, lots of day-tours, and 4 nights at si como no.

I haven't stayed at Arenal Paraiso but I highly recommend the luxury suite with the lava rock shower and jacuzzi and volcano view at the Lost Iguana resort at Arenal! We put the kids in the deluxe room, which is much smaller. We had the luxury suite, which is very romantic! We watched the red lava flow down the side of the volcano from our room and patio! Right now the lava flow is from the side where it can be viewed from the Lost Iguana and the Observatory lodge. Understand that this can change any time though!

I suggest you research all your activities in advance. The reason is that hotel staff (both front desk and concierge) at most Costa Rican hotels cannot give you detailed info on the tours or wildlife. They either don't know the answer, or else their english is sometimes limited to basic "hotel english". They are great people, they do what they are trained to do, they are just NOt tour guides or naturalists.

I recommend both Fodors guide and the New Key to Costa Rica. Frommers was a little outdated on some of its costa rican info unfortunately. also read all the recent trip reports on this web-site. Print them out and highlight the info you need. this is truly the best info available! then e-mail or check the web-site for the tours or activities that you think you want to do. Know in advance what you want to book. You can usually wait until you arrive and book with the hotel if you want, it's just that they give you only very generic information!

You'll have a great time! If you have more questions write me at [email protected] and I'll try to answer. Do you want to know more restaurants in Arenal and manuel antonio? OH gosh, I'm gushing here, gotta get back to my trip report on this web-site!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 10:23 AM

I think 5 nights in M.A. on a honeymoon is a great idea ..... You will feel a little pampered and spoiled !!
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 05:22 AM

I spent 5 nights at Si Como No in '03 on my honeymoon- loved it. The area is busy but it game us a taste of Costa Rica and a desire to return.

We decided to forgo the rental car on our honeymoon and never regretted it. So much so that we might never rent a car in Central America ever after being spoiled by private drivers.

Personally I would put MA (relaxing beach time) at the front end of the honeymoon (fly or be driven), fly back to San Jose to start the Arenal Leg.

You might be able to rent a car in MA and drop off in San Jose but you will not "need" a car In MA- Cabs anywhere in the area were $5, Si Como No has free shuttles to the park and any tour you do provides transport in the price.

You can book tours when you arrive at Si Como No depending on your mood and the weatheralthough you are in the high season

I am not personally familiar with your San Jose hotel choice but it gets good reviews. We like the Costa Rica Marriot when in San Jose for our luxury fix.

Tripadvisor.com has reviews on all your hotel choices.

Congrads