Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

View my travel plans and give advice please on costa rica honeymoon

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're spending a week in Costa Rica in the beginning of August for our honeymoon and just need advice on our plans. Please let me know if this sounds reasonable or if there should be changes. Thanks

1st day: Arrive in SJ and take the interbus to Manuel Antonio. Either stay at Hotel Parador/ La Mariposa/ or Costa Verde. Can't decide which hotel is better. Would like some opinions if you've stayed at these. Costa Verde looks nice and have heard alot of good things but do the rooms have AC?
Plan on staying in MA for 3 nights. We want to visit the park, do the horseback riding tour, lay out on the beach and explore town.

4th day: transport somehow to Los Suenos marriot by Jaco and spend 2 nights there. Want to do the canopy tour if possible or do it in MA. Relax by pool etc.
Any advice on transportation from MA to los suenos? Can I take the bus or manybe taxi??

6th day: take interbus back to JS and stay the last night at hotel El grano de oro and fly home the next morning.

I was wondering if we should spend the first and last night in el grano de oro hotel instead of taking the interbus directly from JS airport to MA or just spend the last night in JS and spend more time in MA?

Please give me your opinions....you all have been really helpful. Before coming on to Fodors.com, My fiance and I were just going to stay at Los Suenos the entire time.

Do you think it's too much traveling around for only a week?
Sorry for all the questions and for so long.
Kass
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 09:51 AM

Do the canopy tour in MA. We had so much fun. What time does your flight arrive in San Jose? If it's early (like noon) transfer directly to MA to maximize your time there. Otherwise you might have to stay over.

Jaco is only like 1 hour from Manuel Antonio. Is there a reason for spending 2 nights there? Just curious. I ask because MA has so much to offer, and there are other areas of the country that you could see and enjoy. I've heard Jaco doesn't have much. We drove through it on our way from MA to Arenal.

For transfers try Interbus. I think they pretty much go anywhere.

Stacey

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:07 PM

I think I replied to you on the knot about Costa Verde...the rooms in the adult building at CV do not have A/C - they're kept cool by huge screen windows (no glass) & ceiling fans; however all the other rooms do have a/c.
We also drove through Jaco on our way to Arenal & I think I'd rather spend the entire trip in Manuel Antonio, or split it btwn MA & Arenal instead of going to Jaco, but that's just me.
Like the above poster said, try interbus for transfers www.interbus.com - or if you do decide to go to Jaco, I know you can take the public bus in Quepos (town right by MA) - it takes about and hour and a half & is super cheap.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 01:26 PM

I agree with the others. You may want to consider Arenal instead of Jaco for a different atmosphere and other set of activities.

I stayed in La Mariposa and I do recommend it. Just be aware that rooms don't have TV (which should be no problem in your honeymoon!). They do have AC. El Parador is also an excellent hotel.

As for transportation, have you considered renting a car or arranging for transfers in advance? It will probably be more comfortable than interbus...

Feel free to email me if you have any questions....

Enrique
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 02:07 PM

kass, If money is not an issue I would consider spending first or last nights, or both at Xandari. It is very beautiful and they will pick you up or bring you to the airport for free. Our last two trips we have spoent that last nights or our trip there because we are always feeling a little down that the vacation is over, and that is the perfect antidote. We stayed at Costa Verde last year in the penthouse apt. in the adult building. The views were fantastic but there was a little noise from the road. We loved Costa Verde, though, they do laundry reasonable, are friendly and we liked being in the adult building without kids because it had it's own pool. It is not a fancy place, but clean and fun.Karen
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 06:03 AM

First, I have to say that yes, if you arrive in CR early enough, head directly out of town. And I also have to agree that a couple nights in the Arenal area would be better than the Marriott. I hear the Marriott is a nice property and the pool looks great, but the beach is not that nice. You will have a nicer beach experience in Manuel Antonio, so why go to the Marriott? The Arenal area is so beautiful and you can lounge by a pool there, or better yet, the hot springs, and it will give you a much better taste of Costa Rica's beauty. Interbus can get you everywhere.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 10:03 AM

All I can say about the Mariott Los Suenos is that we spent three nights there in February and wished we had stayed longer. We are going to spend four nights in Feburary. It is a fabulous property, service is terrific, and is very American friendly. The beach is not very good but the pool more than makes up for it. There is a great restaurant close by Pelicanos - wonderful lobster.