Search

costa rica arenal and MA-help!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:23 AM
tad
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
costa rica arenal and MA-help!

We will be in Arenal for 3 nights and can stay at Tabacon Resort with a nonvolcano view. Should we? Is it worth it? We can stay at Arenal Paraiso for the last 2 nights and I suppose we could stay at Tabacon for the first night although we don't enjoy moving hotels. Any suggestions?

Also, we had intended on staying at Makanda by the Sea for 4 nights, but I was just informed that we could stay at Mansion Inn in MA at a lower rate. Any thoughts? We are not sure what to do.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:05 AM

I think moving hotels might not be worth the bother. You'll have great views at Arenal Paraiso and we liked that it was closer to La Fortuna for meals, waterfall hike, shopping, etc. The only advantage I could see is that with Tabacon resort you get free entry to the hot springs...if you wanted to soak on both your arrival and departure day, it might save money to stay at Tabacon.

In Manuel Antonio we stayed at El Parador and Si Como No (loved them both for different reasons) but I went to look at both the hotels you mentioned. They are both very lovely...the atmosphere at Makanada felt a bit more exclusive and romantic. It's also closer to the main road, which is important if you plan to walk to restaurants.

La Mansion rooms have great views and there's a fun bar there called the "bat cave" - serves overpriced drinks but has a really great and unique atmosphere. Everyone we talked to in the bat cave was raving about their stay at La Mansion, so I have a feeling you can't go wrong either way.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:06 AM
rdp

Maggels - what did you like about Parador vs Si Como No? Deciding b/t them now.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:10 PM

Maggels,
Is it possible for people not staying at the Mansion Inn to still go to the bat cave bar? I had heard only paying guests could go. I'd love to see it.
Thanks!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:26 PM

RDP - The very best thing about Parador is the amazing split level swimming pool with tremendous views of the ocean. I could have floated around in that pool forever! We also thought the service was outstanding and we enjoyed the extensive breakfast buffet every morning. But this hotel does not feel very Costa Rican, and it seemed to attract the kind of clientele who like their tropical vacations a bit on the sanitary side (if you know what I mean). The grounds are beautifully landscaped, but the jungle has been pretty much cut back to the edge of the property. Not much wildlife on the grounds. Our room, though large, felt rather typical, and the conquistador theme in the lobby was not at all to our taste. Parador is down at the very end of a bumpy dirt road so it really helps to have your own wheels. Some people thought this road was a pain, but we had some of our very best close-up encounters with sloths along the road, so we loved it!

We LOVED our room at Si Como No (ask for #24!!!!) which had the most amazing view. We were glad it had no TV, and we really enjoyed leaving the big double doors wide open all night so we could hear the sounds of the jungle and watch the full moon as it set into the sea. Wow. We also thought the grounds were lovely, more natural and jungly than Parador, and the pools here are great too. Also, Si Como No is right on the main road, so it's super easy to walk to good restaurants. Overall, I think we'd pick Si Como No over Parador on our next visit.

We enjoyed the Manuel Antonio area the most out of everywhere went in Cosat Rica. Have a great trip!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:33 PM

Chuckster...yes, anyone can visit the Bat Cave bar. It's a unique place to have a drink, basically inside a cave enhanced with twinkle lights and dry ice! Don't expect to see any bats...they stay in hiding when the lights are on. And DO expect to pay $5 for a bottle of Imperial!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:43 PM
rdp

maggels: thanks so much for the input. we are currently booked at Parador - may change, but doubt it. I have concluded that there are so many amazing places in CR that one could torture oneself about where to stay and what to do. We have booked some other more "Costa Rican" places during this trip, so hopefully we will get a good mix. I think we already planning another trip, so Si Como No, here we come.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:25 PM
rdp

So, I have spent the better part of several days reading nearly all of the threads on this site (as well as...gasp..frommers). I have one outstanding question, which also seems to be a topic of great debate on all boards - Tabacon Resort, cost aside, is it worth it? I have read pretty balanced negatives / positives, whereas with other hotels, it's mostly all positive or all negative. I would love to hear the "final word" from people who have been in the last 6 months or so?
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:14 PM

We're not into sitting around in hot water with a bunch of other Americans, so I'd say Tabacon isn't worth it. I'd want a room with a view of the volcano in case you have a clear night and Arenal starts to put on a show.

It just seems to me that the a major reason to visit Volcan Arenal is to see the pyrotechnics. So do what you can to increase your chances.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:47 PM

right, BUT if the volcano doesn't put on a show (which it doesn't more often than it does), then you're stuck staring at a misty cloud with consistent rain. At least at Tabacon you can then jump in the springs even while it rains, or hit the spa and get an awesome massage. I agree Tabacon was a little overrated, but for a couple days (no more than 2) and first time visitors who want to be in Arenal (or are on the way to the coast) it is recommended.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:11 PM

I'm more in agreement with Rufus. Tabacon is overcrowded with fellow Americans, half of whom are obnoxious, unfortunately.
Give me a local feeling. Get me away from these overpriced resorts catering to westerners.

We did an eve. at Tabacon, and it wasn't a disappointment, but not a place I'd want to be for more than a few hours. Lots of great inexpensive B&B's down the road closeby, with a local feel, and a perfect volcano view.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:03 PM

We stayed at Arenal Paraiso and it was nice to have the big picture window looking right at the volcano. Book ahead to visit the hotsprings though because they limit the # of people/day