Just Back from Manuel Antonio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just returned from my 2nd trip to Costa Rica and had another wonderful time. This trip was a quick one -- a long weekend to celebrate my 40th birthday. Since I live in South Florida, it was pretty cheap to fly down there for only a few days ($250 on American Airlines). We rented a car with Alamo, and found it very easy to drive down to Manuel Antonio (only 3 hrs.)

We stayed in Manuel Antonio at Villas Nicolas... and I very highly recommend it! We had a "type 3" room with A/C, which had a very large balcony with a hammock and a nice view. Being the "green season," we only paid $110 a night. The room itself was beautiful (lots of wood, tile and art) and spacious as well, including a living room and kitchenette. The staff was very helpful and friendly (but what Ticos aren't friendly?)

We did a canopy tour with Canopy Safari and they were fantastic (a much better tour than the Original Canopy Tour we did in Monteverde last time). There were more lines, longer lines, and longer rappels.

As far as hiking in MA park goes, the Mirador trail was wonderful! It was a nicely-paced ascent to an absolutely gorgeous view.

For the best local-type food ("tipica&quot we absolultely loved Angel's. It's right in MA on the hill. Extremely casual, lots of students there, but the food was the best we've had in CR (for this type). We also enjoyed eating at Marluna, which is owned by Angel's brother.

I've posted a few pictures online. To view them, go to:

http://community.webshots.com/user/carma223

Thanks for reading. I'm happy to answer any questions if I can.
Carol
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 07:12 AM

What kind of wildlife did you see, Carol? You can email me directly if you wish. Thank you.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Hi Carol,

Nice short little trip!! Villas Nicolas is in Quepos right?? Do you think it would be a good place to go with children? Does it have nice views of the ocean? Is breakfast included?

I am so jealous, we live in Houston and our airfare is 550.00, little less if you purchase well in advance.

We are looking to eat a lot of "comida tipica" I have already taken note of Angels and Marluna. Any other good little places like that in MA or Arenal?? Have you ben to Arenal? I read you had been to Moteverde prior, we won't make Monteverde this time.

Nice pictures!!

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Villas Nicolas is in Manuel Antonio on the hill , and yes you do get some great views . It would be a fine place with children , as well as Costa Verde , or Si Como No .....
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

crarmy,
I agree that Villas Nicolas would be fine with children. Great views, nice pool. And I also agree that Costa Verde and Si Como No are good choices for you as well. Breakfast is not included at Villas Nicolas (nor is it at Costa Verde -- I haven't stayed at Si Como No). However, Villas Nicolas (and Si Como No right next door) are a VERY short walk to Cafe Milagro, where they serve excellent breakfasts, as well as other meals.

I have been to the Arenal area, and highly recommend this fantastic restaurant for "tipica" called Choza de Laurel (right in La Fortuna). When we went, there were many local families, and the food was incredible (and cheap!) Be sure to try the queso palmitos (hearts of palm with cheese). They usually come with the casados there.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

atravelynn,
The wildlife is incredible in CR in general, and in Manuel Antonio specifically. If you're really interested in seeing wildlife, hire a guide (preferably a private guide) with a telescopic spotter to hike in MA park. You're bound to see lots of capuchin monkeys, some squirrel monkeys, iguanas, sloths, Jesus Christ lizards, bats, different species of crabs, butterflies, leaf-cutter ants, and a ton of different birds. I would also recommend taking a mangrove boat tour of Damas Island to see more wildlife and birds.

If you're a bird lover, you'll be in heaven. On this particular trip, among the highlights were tiger herons, yellow-headed caracara, scarlet macaws flying overhead, fiery-billed aracari (toucans), kingfishers, etc.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Cafe Milagro ...... YUM ! YUM ! YUM !
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Thanks CarolM, I love hearts of palms!! Can't wait for the whole experience. The peolple, the places and the food.

Thanks, Faithie! How about Tulemar??
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Tulemar is a beautiful spot ..... gets great reviews . If u want to splurge , go for it !!! Villas Nicolas and Costa Verde would be the most reasonable cost wise . Si Como No and Tulemar about the same . I prefer Tulemar . ( Si Como No is also VERY popular )
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Glad you had such a great time. Wasn't the view from the Mirador fantastic? Did you enjoy that rickety wooden bridge you had to cross?
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

tully, yes LOVED the Mirador view. Just couldn't manage to capture it photographically (it was a bit misty). Thanks so much for that tip. We hiked on our own, and that was a really good idea for us -- plus, we really needed some exercise after all that Imperial and gallo pinto! Thanks again for you input. Carol