Copacabana Palace a mistake?

Old Dec 15th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Copacabana Palace a mistake?

We are staying for three days in Rio and I booked Copacabana Palace, after much thinking, as I wanted us to have a classic Brazilian experience, with all the images that Copacabana brings to mind about Brazil. This was also the recommendation I received from someone living in Brazil, when I said I want to stay in someplace that is authentic Brazilian, not a U.S. chain hotel. I know that everyone suggests booking a hotel in Ipanema, as it is the better and safe area, but we can walk to that beach and just stay at Copa Palace - just wondering if thatís is mistake and Iíll end up regretting it?!
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a beautiful hotel. Classic. Beautiful.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 02:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stayed there a few years ago. It is lovely! Get an oceanfront room though, there are some in the rear that aren't so nice. It is perfectly safe to walk in that area during the day. At night take a car from the car service located at the hotel's entrance.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its not a "mistake." The hotel is beautiful. Frankly, one of a kind. As mentioned, make sure you get an ocean view room, even if you have to pay for an upgrade at check in.

Don't do much walking around the hotel. Take taxis, they are everywhere and cheap. If you want to experience the Ipanema beach, take a taxi to Posto No.9, right across from the Cesar Park. Its about 5 mins away. You can rent chairs and umbrellas there and watch the world go by.

From the Cesar Park, Rua Visconde de Piraje is just two short blks away. Safe. Walk over and shop. Make sure you visit Bum Bum, a Bikini store (summer bags and stuff too). Its well known and has great designs. Good shoe stores and the like there too and great lunch and dinner spots.

Rio is terrific. Have fun.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks folks - This is great feedback and puts my mind at ease. I do have an ocean view room for couple of days but the third day they didn't hve one- I am hoping that'll change when I am there.

Safa
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 01:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Copacabana Palace hotel is the best hotel in Latin America, there is no way you can make a mistake staying here if you are willing to pay for it.

The beach in front of the Copacabana Palace is fine for the most part you will be sitting with the other people who can afford the Copa Palace hotel, so how bad can that be.

I thing the people of Rio who go to Copacabana beach are more of a reflection of the majority of the class of people of Brasil, just my opinion. Where as Ipanema has more of a young upper middle class section of the people but you need to experience both and both are beautiful.

As far as safety is concerned, some people think that Ipanema is safer than Copacabana but my opinion is they are both the same. I read O Globo daily the Brazilian newspaper online and I see reports of petty theft in both areas equally. The poorer people are in Copacabana and the richer people are in Ipanema, so if you were looking for money, where would you go?
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a great hotel. On my first trip to Brazil on business, my travel agent recommended the Caesar Park, but when I pulled up. I stayed one night, and then switched to the Copacabana Palace -- the Caesar Park felt like it could be anywhere and I really didn't feel like it was in Rio. The ocean view rooms at the Copacabana are amazing -- and its where I have stayed on return trips, even when I (and not the company) pay.

Michael
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Copacabana Palace. Didn't stay there but went thru it to see it. Very nice place. And don't be afraid to walk along the beach. We found it very safe and in fact walked from Copacanan area over to Ipanema. (You have to make a short detour on the street to get there) It was a great walk. You see lots of different life styles playing on the beach.