Compare and contrast: Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia

Old May 10th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compare and contrast: Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia

I'm coordinating a three-week trip for some relatives in July or August.

They're interested in ruins, rainforest and relaxation but definitely NO resorts.

Could someone provide information on these three countries and comment as well, on the possibility of combining a trip to Peru with one or the other?

Much appreciated.

PS: If you have pictures on a website of your own travels to these places, I'd love to see them.
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:48 AM

HI

i've travelled through Peru and Bolivia but not Ecuador.
Peru and Bolivia are very easily combinable - u can get the bus from Cuzco up to Puno and then over to La Paz.
The altiplano region in Peru/Bolivia is stunning - some of the most amazing sights i've seen. Don't miss Salar du Uyuni south of La Paz - and Potosi - highest city in the world.
From Cuzco you can easily fly to the Peruvian rain forest to spend a few days in Iquitos.
If you then flew back to Cuzco there's a great bus journey down to Arequipa and Nazca - thro the desert.
Finally to end up somewhere v cool go to Huacachina - just outside of Pizco
Sorry can't give any advice on Ecuador but thats the trip i did and it was great
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:50 PM

Cusco is a must, beautiful place, lots of places to visit, upscale hotels and restaurants too, you can go from there to Puno by Orient express Train(awesome) to visit Titicaca lake at the border with Bolivia, if you have seen Puno, yuo have seen Bolivia, not much to do, unless you go to Santa Cruz wich is located at the oriental part of the country far from the andes.
I think ecuador would be a better choice to visit between December and April (Summer)nice beaches, Galapagos island is beautiful too.
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:40 AM

whilst i can't say about ecuador never having been there - i disagree about Bolivia - the altiplano region is stunning
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Havn't been to Equador but I like both Peru and Bolivia. In Peru, Cusco is a must for about 4 days, Arequipa is interesting as well, parts of Lima i.e. San Isidro or Miraflores or shopping at the Jockey Plaza are interesting but there are parts of Lima that are not for the tourist.
Bolivia or particularly La Paz to me was amazing. I was fortunate to be taken around by some locals and especially the "moonscape" area just outside the city was very interesting. The alto plano was mind blowing and the food I had there was fantastic. There are many little areas in La Paz that are interesting and I found it a terrific place.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Hi Rachelle,
I've been in Ecuador twice and about the Rainforest I can suggest you the marvellous Faunistic Reserve of Cuyabeno -primary forest- (NE of Ecuador, near Colombia and Peru borders). You need indeed 4-5 days for this jungle trip and there are some lodges for the accomodation. I give you an e-mail address of an excellent Shuar guide based in Baños, he organizes for Cuyabeno and other places in the Rainforest; his name is Shakay and the address is: [email protected].
If you contact him, tell him that Patrizia from Switzerland gave you the address.
Bye bye, Patrizia
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:33 AM
mabel

Well, I've got the opposite experience of others. I've been to Ecuador, but not Peru or Bolivia. I LOVED it. I'm sure that Ecuador's most impressive ruins, Ingapirca, while really cool, can't hold a candle to Maccu Picchu. So, I'd say do Peru, definitely. But Cuenca is a beautiful little town with adorable inns. And the regions north of Quito are beautiful, with volcanoes and lots to do. Check out www.volcanoland.com. I can't recommend this place enough. We did only a daytime horseback trip, but I will definitely stay there next time. It's totally eco-friendly and gives money to the community and runs horseback trips up the volcano.

Don't know about the reserve Patrizia recommended, but I'm dying to try Kapawi in Ecuador's Amazon. (www.kapawi.com)

Old May 19th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Amy

I've only been to Peru so far, but I can tell you that it was wonderful; ruins, rainforests, and relaxation--well, I find hiking on the canopy walkway relaxing, anyway!
There are some pix here: http://community.webshots.com/user/missalg of both the Andes areas and the Amazon (out from Iquitos.)