Clueless about Cabo area. Help.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We are looking at booking a last minute trip to Cabo area to escape the Seattle rain probably a month from now. We have a 5 year old boy and want a semi upscale hotel that is between $200-300 a night, close to a variety of good restaurant options, and not too noisy. Nightlife is not important. After looking at Tripadvisor I am sort of confused about the different areas to choose from, as in Cabo San Lucas, tourist corridor, and San Jose? We will probably spend alot of time at the hotel so good amenities and a nice pool(s) will be important, a swimable beach not so important. I am under the impression San Jose area might be a good fit?

Any suggestions as to which area and also hotel/resort ideas would be greatly appreciated! TIA.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
San Jose del Cabo is the older Mexican town (and would be my pick for a place to stay). Cabo San Lucas the newer high-end resort area.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Suze has never been to Cabo and never been to San Jose and her advice may not fit your needs. None of the beach-front hotels in San Jose could be described as "semi upscale". We've stayed at a couple to have easy access to fishing from small boats but they are not up to the same standards as hotels in the corridor and most of Cabo.

Look at this map of the corridor ... http://www.loscabosguide.com/maps/corridlg.htm ... basically almost every place from Punta Pamilla on the right to KM 6.5 area on the left is relatively new and would range from luxurious (Palmilla) to 'semi upscale' or 'high end' (Westin, etc). If you are going in early Dec then maybe some will fit your budget, but from 2nd week in Dec on it's high season and rates at most of these will be at the high end of your range or possibly higher. I've only stayed at the Westin in this area and it was great.

Here's a map of Cabo ... http://www.loscabosguide.com/maps/cslmap.htm ... the resorts on Medano Beach like the Pueblo Bonitos and Melia and similar are all nice. These are more 'busy' than the corridor resorts, which tend to be isolated, but much closer to Cabo.

On the Pacific side I've stayed at Sol-Mar and Finisterra and these are probably in your price range and offer great views, with a bit of isolation because Cabo is a ridge away. I always liked staying here (prefer Finisterra) because it was convenient to the marina and fishing, but there were a lot of non-fishing folks staying there too.

Avoid the hotels on the Marina and downtown, based on what you said you were looking for. These are often noisy and the areas more crowded.

If you find something in the corridor with good rates go for it, otherwise try the two areas in Cabo I mentioned. San Jose would be a poor third choice.

Bill
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Bill is correct I have never been to Cabo. You should listen to him not me.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:51 AM

I only replied because you said you were confused about the different areas, and I had researched enough to know the layout. Lo siento.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We really like staying at the Pueblo Bonito properties. PB Blanco & Rose are right on Medano Beach. Melia is next door and down the beach is Villa del Palmar, which gets good reports from friends. I believe VdP has some sort of kiddie slide at their pool.

Too many choices, I know. Good luck.

MY
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Michelle, the Pueblo properties all have suites going for about $250 right now. I was looking at them trying to figure out which was a better fit. Tripadvisor has them listed as #4 Pacifica #5 Blanco and #6 Sunset Beach #10 Rose ordered by top hotels by popularity.

Bill, thanks for the links you posted they will be very helpful. Cheers.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Just thought of another question for you experts. Is Cabo going to feel more like Cancun or Puerto Vallerta? I didn't care for Cancun that much now that I think about it.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 02:08 PM

ok I can answer for the geography of the Baja peninsula (from a stay in La Paz)... it is a desert peninsula. Where PV is a huge bay surrounded by lush jungles and mountains. Entirely different terraine.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 02:58 PM

<i>Is Cabo going to feel more like Cancun or Puerto Vallerta? I didn't care for Cancun that much now that I think about it.</i>

Cabo is neither like Cancun or Puerto Vallarta in many ways but similar to both in other ways. Perhaps you could tell us exactly what you didn't like about Cancun or what you like about PV.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Gordon:

Pacifica is adults only, so that isn't an option. Sunset Beach is on the Pacific side of Baja and away from the hub-bub of Cabo San Lucas. Some enjoy this(we do), but others want to be closer to the action, restaurants, night life etc. Blanco &amp; Rose are on the only real swimming beach in the area with easier access to town. CSL is known for the party atmosphere. San Jose del Cabo is a more &quot;real life&quot; town. We like both towns for different reasons. We also like having a car so we can explore. We have taken trips to Todos Santos and the East Cape.

Here is a link to our trip several years back:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34769739