Clothing Optional in CR?

Old May 17th, 2004, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clothing Optional in CR?

Does anyone know of an all-inclusive resort in CR that has a clothing optional area (pool, beach, etc.)?
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:54 AM

As in NONE? Costa Rica is not a place for nude beaches if that is what you mean. Although the beach areas are a little more relaxed (dress code-wise) than the central valley areas, this is a fairly conservative country. I wouldn't advise it, and I don't think others would either. It isn't Cancun.
Old May 20th, 2004, 07:34 AM

A little judgemental arent we shillmac....take it easy on the poor girl
Old May 20th, 2004, 07:51 AM

I don't think shillmac is trying to sound judgemental, just stating the facts. In the 9 times I've been to Costa Rica, traveling from as far north as Tamarindo all the way down to Povones and in-between, I've never seen or heard of any clothing optional beaches. Of course, I've still not made it to the caribbean side, so who's to say what goes on over there, but as stated, CR is conservative.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:03 AM

Thank you, Ally. I did not mean to sound judgemental at all. I don't personally have a problem with the option of clothing! However, the country of Costa Rica does. Isn't that what the question asked? And no, it would not be appropriate on the Caribbean side either. If the option of clothing on beaches is important to someone, they need to know that this is not considered acceptable in Costa Rica, and might wish to consider another area in which to travel.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Nude sunbathing is illegal in Costa Rica, and more importantly it is offensive to many Costa Ricans. They don't do it, they don't want their visitors to do it and they don't want to have to explain it to their children after a visit to a public beach. (I know this because I know many Costa Ricans.) It's their country, and all visitors should respect their ways.

This implies no criticism of littledarlin3, who was respectful enough to ask in advance.
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:17 PM

Just to show that the world is full of contradictions, yes, its true that nude sunbathing is both illegal and very much frowned upon by most Ticos (except for teenage boys I'm sure!) but prostitution is perfectly legal and the women only have to be 18! Some may call this progressive (it is regulated and what good would it do to make it illegal?). Interesting.....
Old May 20th, 2004, 06:43 PM

dncee11. . .how right you are! Do you suppose there is a method to this madness? It is also true that in this very conservative country, most of the women could win the "tightest clothing" award in any contest? Not to mention those fascinating (for both sexes) Latino dance rhythms! See, I'm not judgemental!

Did you tell me your family is going to Spain this summer or somewhere else in Europe? I've forgotten and it has been a good while since we have "fodored".
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. That's what I needed to know