Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

christmas vacation in belize ... please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are planning a family vacation with 4-5 different familes during christmas and new years (approximately 10 days total). we all have 2 children who range from the ages of 1-6. we were thinking of spending the first 3- 4 days in the cayo area at either chan chich lodge, windy hill lodge or duplooy's. then we're going to ambergris caye for the other 6 - 7 days. in ambergris, we are considering belizean shores, sun diver beach resort (the owner has been very helpful and accomodating in our planning) and the playa blanca dive and beach club. can someone please give me information on these hotels ... this planning process has been very overwhelming. keep in mind, that i have narrowed it down to these particular hotels because many others that i've called are already sold out during this time in december. thank you.
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:18 AM

NNewman - I can not answer any of your questions but your trip sounds very similar to the trip I am planning (2 families with kids aged 2-10.) We also wish to split our time between Ambergris and Cayo. We will be going in February.

I am going to look into the places you mentioned as we have not booked our accomodations yet.

Would you mind sharing your other plans? It is hard finding other people traveling to Belize with small children! Thanks - and have a great trip!
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:33 PM
z

What a great idea!. However, you need to know that Chan Chich is not in Cayo. Chan Chich Lodge is a wonderful place but it is not for kids. During our nine visits there we never saw one child. Besides if you have a such big group and you are thinking about Christmas 2004 they are already booked anyway. There are more suitable accommodations in Belize for families with small kids. I hope you will find one.
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:53 PM

On Chan Chich, of course it's okay for kids. I have seen many kids there, including mine. Still, kids that young wouldn't appreciate much at Chan Chich except possibly the pool, and the attractions of the place would be lost on them.

I've responded to your questions by e-mail.

--Lan Sluder
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:01 AM

Rooms tend to book up way in advance this time of year so I'd sort out what is best and secure reservations as soon as you are able to. duPlooys requires a 3 nt min this time of year and only sells packages (you'd get a 15% group discount of the top). A few other inns still have space available. Be aware the Sun Diver is way way up the north side of the island, which is great for people who want to stay put and prefer peace and quiet. Town is only accessible by water taxi, which can be us$10.00pp each way to town, which adds up with a group this large. You might want to check into hotels or condos closer to San Pedro town, where you'll find the majority of services. Town, shops, restaurants and trips are accessible on foot, golf or bike rental and taxi. But move quickly.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 12:19 PM

My family (16 total) rented four units at Paradise Villas this past Christmas and thought it was great! All are one or two bedroom condos with kitchen (which is great when traveling with kids). There's a pool at the complex. It's on the north end of town, easy walk to all restaurants and shops. A really lovely complex, I thought. The lodging link at ambergriscaye.com lists a few different links for Paradise Villas. We used Nellie Gomez (a friend referred us to her). But any one of the links would give you information. The the prior post is right, book early. The island is very popular at Christmas.