Belize...Nightlife for 18-21 yr olds?

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belize...Nightlife for 18-21 yr olds?

My wife and I in our forties are wanting to take the 22 and 18 year old kids on a vacation to Mexico or Belize in June. We've all been as a family to Cancun and had a great time...even youngest daughter was able to go into clubs (under our supervision) in Cancun as a 15 year old and of course, now that she's 18, she wants to go back there and do it all again! Myself, Wife and older daughter are OK with Cancun, but want to also consider a new destination such as Belize. I am sure there are some very pretty destinations in Belize, but tell me, what is the drinking age in Belize...18 or 21? Can one find the obligatory "Senor Frog" type places down there for the college age kids? I'd like to do some tours of the ruins, caves, and other areas of interest. I don't want to go to Belize if the kids are going to be real disappointed in the Belize nightlife. Any recommendations for a hotel property(inclusive or not) with good access to both of the above? Regrettably, I have tons of Marriott Reward points I could use, but know of no Marriott properties down there. If anyone has any info. to share, we could use it.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 03:48 AM

Ambergris Caye would be your best bet if oyu are not expecting another Cacncun. The island is small, laid back, friendly. Day trips to the mainland for caves, Maya sites, jungle, horses. Great diving, snorkeling, sailing and kayaking. Drinking age is 18, no chains, but plenty of nice places for them to hang and meet other kids./ Fido's is a good start. And they can rent a golft cart and move around on their own. No Marriots. Theres a Radisson and Best Western in Belize City. Plenty of great places for families to stay-inns, hotels, condo-hotels with kitchens and living rooms. No all inclusives, but you'll want the freedom to dine where you choose and move around freely and easily.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 05:52 AM

I love Belize, plan to retire there in a couple years. If you're looking for anything like Cancun, I'm afraid you are going to disappointed. Belize is very much still a developing nation. No US franchise restaurants or bars. Dirt streets on Ambergris, very few cars, lots of golf carts. I've spoken with young people who are loving every minute of their trip, and others who seem a bit baffled and were wishing they were somewhere else.

Have a talk with your kids and see if what they want out of their trip.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 08:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How about something in between? I'm thinking Puerto Vallarta, which is "more Mexican" than Cancun by far but still has the nightlife to entertain your kids.

If your daughter wants Cancun, I don't think Belize will fit the bill.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 03:30 AM

Why not stuff the Marriot points - cos thankfully there isn't one there yet -and go to Caye Caulker. The kids will have a ball. Hey - but maybe they won't. Making an assumption here that might not be true. Do your kids need all that high rise, Macdonalds sort of stuff? If yes, don't read on. I might offend you.

If no - then check it out. You will just be able to veg out, take some reef trips, and eat lobster.
No resorts, though, thank God.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 09:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
When someone asks for a Senor Frogs, I take them at their word. And Belize doesn't have one, right?
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 10:40 AM

Other than the Radisson in Belize City,I don't think Belize has any recognizable chain hotels/bars/restaurants. Someone said there was a Subway in Beize City, then someone else told me that it had closed its doors.

I agree if you're looking for a Senor Frogs kind of place, you won't be happy in Belize.