Search

cheap beach destination?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheap beach destination?

My boyfriend and I are trying to find a vacation spot on the beach for mid-April. WE DON"T WANT TO BREAK THE BANK!! We want to spend some time on the beach (and want a nice beach with waves), but also are looking for some other things to do. Any suggestions? Our ideas so far are Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta or maybe Belize. Anything good or bad to say about any of these places and whether they meet our needs? Or any other destination suggestions would be appreciated!!
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Puerto Vallarta can fit what you describe. You can still find basic 1-star Mexican hotel rooms for under $50USD/night. There's all kinds of things to see and do in the area. I've been to PV ~18 times or so and am happy to answer specific question you have. Sorry don't know Cozumel or Belize to compare.

Old Feb 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM

A great cheap beach with waves, check out Jaco, Costa Rica. (or Manuel Antonio area too.)
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Depending on where you want to fly from, you can get cheap charters to San Andres island, not too far from Nicaragua, but actuall'belonging to Colombia.

Wonderful island, beautiful blue water, white sand. Cheap. Love it.

Unfortunately, if you aren't in the northeast part of us US, where you can find cheap charters out of Toronto and Montreal, it isn't very cheap to get there.

Belize can be cheap once you get there, but generally airfare is pretty high.

You might look at Isla Mujeres, off the coast of Cancun. Fun little island, lots of cheap lodging options, food is very reasonable as well.

Bocas del Toro in Panama may be an option as well.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Mexico's Pacific Coast has better waves than the Caribbean side I believe.

You've been to Cancun, so you must know that area. I've not heard of much surf in Belize.

We stayed in Mazatlan a few years ago and found very good body surfing right on the beach in front of the hotels. There were good restaurants right on the water too. Not too expensive. Mid-April is the beginning of their season because they are further north than Puerto Vallarta and Ixtapa, etc.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 05:39 AM

Oops, missed the 'waves' part.

Definitely not Belize....
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

When I said cheap, I just meant we didn't want to spend thousands at an all-inclusive type deal. Sorry. We also don't want to worry about sleeping with vermin!!

Puerto Vallarta sounds interesting. Are the beaches white sand and can you actually walk in the water? I have heard in Cozumel the beaches are a bit rocky.

I went to Isla Mujeres for a day trip once when in Cancun. I didn't realize you could actually stay on the island. What sort of things are there to do on the island itself? I remember shopping (mostly silver)and eating...

Mazatlan...would it be warm enough mid-April? Other things to do?

I love cities, ruins, nature, animals, etc. Dont' want to lay on the beach ALL week!!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 07:07 AM

You might consider Zihuatanejo with all price points. Basic clean rooms with two beds, a couple chairs, end table,lamp with private bath including 24 hour hot water only 130 pesos for one or 250 for two at the Hotel Vic-Mar just 5 minutes from Playa Madera & 10 from El Centro. Apartments with full kitchens, cable, AC & separate bedroom, balcony & pool for around $70 at the Solimar Suites. A lovely room in the garden of a art gallery with free INTERNET & breakfast for $50 US just steps from the beach at Casa Bulmaro.
Good Mexican Meals in Posada Alley at The Rico-mar for under $3 US, Menos in El Centro great Italian for under $7. Fresh fish at Marina Cafe for around 100 pesos. Excellent chicken at Pollo Feliz for bargain prices. Breakfasts on the beach for under $5 US at MJ & Richie's on Playa Madera.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 08:52 AM

I'm heading to Isla Mujeres next week for a (too) short, four night trip with the 'girls'. I've been there a couple times before.

There are snorkeling and diving trips off the island. Rent a golf cart and tour around stopping at various bars/beach clubs for food and drink. I think there's a dolphin discovery type of place.

As you said shopping. Also day trips to Isla Contoy for more snorkeling and a bit of birding.

There are big waves on the the Caribbean side, but it's pretty much unswimmable because of rocks. Great to fall asleep to.

Playa Norte has sort of shifted around to the west side of the island, not many waves there, but beautiful water and white, white sand.

Lots of good cheap hotel options downtown, and reasonably priced hotels right on the beach.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 06:55 AM

Puerto Vallarta isn't white sand, more golden colored, but yes you can walk in the water at many areas of the beach. There's aLL kinds of hotels, all price ranges... in the Old Town or Hotel Zones, outside of town, all inclusive resorts, local independents, cheap funky places (i have never encountered 'vermin' at a PV hotel, things are very clean).

If surf-worthy waves is what you're after, try Sayulita about 1 hr north of PV.

I also like the idea above of Zijuat. That town's definitely on my to-do list!

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 07:26 AM

Check out Manuel Antonio in Costa Rica - a national park that you can hike in, full of monkeys, sloths, and all kinds of wildlife, beautiful views, beautiful beach, and loads of great restaurants. They also have sailing, mangrove tours, horseback riding, etc.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 08:50 AM

I know the original poster already decided and took their vacation a long time ago, but since i'm here...

Anybody who's looking for an economical way to enjoy the beach should consider Mazatlan. It has looonnng stretches of beach, I think more than 10 miles is what somebody told me. Most of it is very nice for walking and swimming, no rocks, though there are a few rocky areas. There are a couple areas that have decent waves for surfing (they even hold an international surfing competition every year), most areas are a little more gentle.

It's also economical. There are a few high-dollar resorts, but most places are very reasonable, and some are downright cheap.

And there's plenty of other stuff to do, not only in Mazatlan but on tours to quaint little pueblos nearby.

Just my $.02!
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 10:25 AM

MexicoLarry,

So what are some hotel recommendations for Mazatlan, please? I prefer traditional style places, hopefully around $50/night (a small pool is a big plus). Is that possible?

I think also that I would prefer the downtown area, not out in the golden zone, right?