Belize, Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, Ixtapa?

Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belize, Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, Ixtapa?

Want to take a trip to Mexico or Central America for 5 nights. 4 people (2 adults, 2 kids). My budget is a little tight $3,500. We can only go in mid October. Airfare is the tricky part. Coming out of MEM. It eliminated most Caribbean islands because it takes over 24 hours and multiple stops to get anywhere. Panama is too far. Costa Rica the airfare is too expensive. Any suggestions? We’ve been to Cancun but aren’t looking for the party/club scene. We love snorkeling (calm waters for kiddos) and anything else outdoors. We don’t need a big town and aren’t interested in shopping. Pretty beach, snorkeling from beach a positive but not a requirement. Any advice about the west coast (pacific side) Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, Ixtapa, Acapulco, anywhere else? I can get decent airfare to Belize as well.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 06:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Random thoughts.
I wouldn't take kids to Acapulco.
Most Pacific side beaches are not ideal for snorkeling.
Of the Pacific side places you mentioned, Huatulco probably has the best variety of good, un-busy beaches.
You mentioned that you've been to Cancun, but how about Isla Mujeres? Small town, great beaches, snorkeling either from the beach (south end is best) or day trip by boat to Isla Contoy.
Don't know Belize. Except for what Jerry Jeff Walker sings about.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 06:54 PM

Belize is a good choice - maybe choose between Ambergris Caye or (our favorite) Caye Caulker. Don't expect postcard beaches or snorkeling from shore, but the reef is close for boat trips and you might try a full day mainland excursion like a visit to the Lamanai Maya site which includes a jungly boat trip coming and going.

My photos with blog links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there.
Happy trails!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

After doing more research our options are Belize, Jamaica, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Ixtapa or Tulum. Any advice on these?
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 10:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Puerto Vallarta and go there twice a year, every year, myself. But I don't think it fits this request. It is a "big town" and the snorkeling is nothing special.

Where in Jamaica are you considering?