Search

Where should we go? Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should we go? Help needed.

Hi guys,

My boyfriend and I are in the initial stages of planning a vacation, possibly to Mexico or some part of Central America. We are planning to go for 6-7 days/nights. Obviously there are a lot of options, but since we are going for a decent amount of time, we want a good mix of relaxation as well as some sightseeing/culture.

To add some context, we're planning on going mid-March (and would like to avoid the spring-break crowd), we're both 25, and would be flying from New York. We have been to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and Acapulco before and would like to go somewhere different.

We were exploring the options of Ixtapa, Cabo, Belize, Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic. What would you all suggest...and why?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:30 AM

Although I've never been to the Pacific coast of Mexico, I'm guessing a trip to either Ixtapa, Cabo or the Dominican Republic will be very different travel experiences than either Costa Rica or Belize.

The former places have large,and I suppose, beautiful resorts. Many will be all-inclusive.

Costa Rica has a few of those properties, Belize doesn't have any.

So, first you need to decide what kind of trip you want. Lay around a resort, or stay in smaller places and explore.

Costa Rica has some really beautiful scenery. And some great little hotels. Most people do some moving around, so many different areas to see.

Belize has caves and Mayan ruins and the beautiful reef off its coast. If diving or snorkeling are important, I'd choose Belize. Actually, I'd choose Belize anyway, but that's my bias....
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jean you are right. I guess my reason for using this forum is to narrow it down. If this helps, here is what we are looking for. We do want to lie around on a beach, soak in some sun, relax and enjoy nightlife. Given that we have a week, we don't need to do that for the entire trip. And we definitely do not want to stay in a resort that is far removed from culture.

We do want to spend some of our time exploring towns, looking at art and learning something about the culture.

So ideally we'd want to be on a beach that's warm in March and is close by to an interesting town. For example, I've read the while Ixtapa is very resort-y, it's very close to Zihua, that is an actual town.

That being said, why would you choose Belize. Anyone else have opinions? Thanks.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 07:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You're right Zijuat (instead of Ixtapa) is an excellent idea.

Along the same line but on the Baja - I'd pick La Paz instead of Cabo.

AND I'll also throw my personal favorite, Puerto Vallarta, into the mix... it fits exactly what you describe seeking and has great weather in March (watch out for Easter week, it's a very busy time).
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze. I have been reading quite a bit this morning and have noticed you are a huge supported of PV.

That being said, two questions for you.

1) Would you recommend we stay in Ixtapa and bus it to Zijuat (Spanish for Zihua, I'm assuming) or vice, versa?

2) Regarding Puerto Vallarta, besides the beaches, what other activities are there?

I don't want to sound superficial, but we do want to get in some relaxing, go out to nice restaurants and a check out a decent nightlife scene. Not for the entire trip, but definitely for some of it. Thanks again.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 09:44 AM

Suzy, we are big fans of Costa Rica, but based on what you'd like in a trip, it's probably not the best spot for you. It has great scenery, active volcanoes, beaches, adventure like ziplines, and amazing wildlife, but not much in the way of upscale dining and nightlife - things are still relatively simple there.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 09:53 AM

Belize, specifically, San Pedro, has captured my heart.

It doesn't sound like it's what you're looking for this trip though. Small town, small hotels, not the greatest beach. But, wonderful people, blue water, a few really good restaurants (and lots of fine local places) and there is some kind of live music every night.

Not to mention the reef is less than a mile out.

If you want some more action activities before heading to the beach, head to the Cayo district for cave tubing, caves with Mayan skeletons, canoeing, hiking.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 10:56 AM

I'm a big fan of Belize, Honduras, and Guatemala. You could have a wonderful culture/nature/relaxation trip to any of them but it certainly couldn't be compared to the more resort-oriented destinations you've picked in the past. Check out my travelogues and photos if you're interested and let me know if you'd like to hear more:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 11:04 AM

Zijuatenejo is the older fishing village and Ixtapa the newer resort development next to it. They share an airport. There is bus service between. I have never been, but I would find a hotel in Zijuat myself, because I prefer a normal town & don't like the larger more modern resorts like you'd find in Ixtapa.

Puerto Vallarta is a larger city and offers much more in the way of restaurants and nightlife. You don't sound superficial to me and PV has everything you request.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 11:21 AM

Cabo also offers most of what you've asked for.

There's nothing wrong with traveling to Costa Rica, Belize, Guadamala, Honduras, etc. it's jsut I don't think of them in the same category of the places you've chosen in the past, or for matching up with your hope for relaxing, great restaurants, and nightlife. Different kind of trips.

My experience in Dominican Republic is decades out of date. It's a beautiful country, but most people who visit seem to pretty much just stay within their resorts (even expressing fear about going other places, which I doubt is reasonable, but I've heard it said many times). DR also seems to have more problems with people getting sick than anywhere else you asked about.

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi, wow you have all given some great advice. And hopefulist, thanks for the pictures, they're nice! I definitely do want to see Costa Rica, but I want to make sure I have the energy to take advantage of all it has to offer right now!

I've also read the beaches in CR are nice (i.e. rough sand and choppy waves). Is that true? I would consider going to CR if the beaches are nice.

Any suggestions on where to stay in CR?
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:02 AM

Hi, Suzy - the beaches all over the country are very different - some calm, some great for surfing, etc. The prettiest one we've seen is inside the national park in Manuel Antonio - really pretty, and you get the added benefit of being able to hike around and see the cool wildlife like monkeys and sloths. This area is pretty Americanized, easy to get around, and has a good selection of restaurants.

You could also stay at the Peace Lodge for a couple of nights - that's a really over-the-top place by CR standards, but not near the beach - the rooms have fireplaces, jacuzzis, waterfall showers, great views, and there are 5 beautiful waterfalls on the property that you can hike to.

If you wanted to stay near the volcano area, Arenal is popular and has an active volcano - you can watch the lava flow, and it's amazing, also ziplines here, hanging bridges, wildlife tours like Cano Negro, and gorgeous natural hot springs like Tabacon. You could search around on some of these topics and see if you think it's right for you. Good luck with your planning!
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you volcanogirl. Either of those areas sound great.

I know we're cutting it really close in terms of planning, we hope to have a place picked by this weekend and I'm sure I'll be on here with more questions after that.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 06:48 AM

Does Costa Rica offer options for fun "nightlife" as requested?
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

From what I have read, I believe there are some options for a few nights. Don't think we'd go out every night, but will be doing some more research over the weekend!
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:04 AM

In places like Manuel Antonio, you can find lots of spots to enjoy the sunset, have good drinks, etc., maybe find some live music, but it's not a party atmosphere. Let me know if you have any more questions, and I hope you find your dream spot!
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you volcanogirl, you have been really, really helpful. Even if we don't end up going, I will definitely be using your suggestions at some point, because CR sounds wonderful.

Right now we are split between CR and the Caribbean and it's going to come down to flight times, cost and other boring (but important logistics stuff).

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:32 AM

Suzy - we just got back from Caberete in the D.R. and absolutely loved it. It on the north coast (Atlantic side) just a half hour cab drive from Puerto Plata airport. Continental has direct flights from Newark. While the culture sights aren't big in this area of DR, although you could arrange for trips, the nightlife is great. Every evening there are about 12 or so restaurants right on the beach. All table & chairs, couches even, are put directly on the the beach under palm trees a 100 yards or so from the ocean. It's a wonderfully romantic and fun dinner atmosphere. Then about 11PM these start converting into discos. I found the DR people extremely hospitable (if sometimes pushy - although you will find this in any town where folks are trying to sell there wares, tours, etc.) and the laid back atmosphere wonderful. Its a big kite/wind surfing area so you could take lessons. My husband and I went mountain biking in the DR countryside. I know some other adventures are the waterfall tour and traveling to Samana about 3 hours away. Every mid January to mid March, in Samana, you can view the largest population of humpback whales who come back here each winter to mate. We stayed at Velero Beach Resort which I loved, but on the more expensive side for DR. Instead you could rent a condo for cheap. This is not like the Caribbean side where folks say you can't leave the resort. Its a beach town and many vistors hail from Europe. I admit the town itself is in need of some work, although we found that part of the charm. Honestly I feel like I am giving away a big secret by writing, but it was really one of the best beach vacations I ever had. Visit the trip advisor forum for more info and . .
www.activecabarete.com
www.iguanamama.com
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM

I've been all over coastal mexico, both Caribbean and Pacific sides, and I have been to Belize as well. San Pedro was decent, although not much going on unless you wanna scuba dive...which we did. I would recommend Huatulco, Mexico, it is more of a Mexican tourist destination rather than American/Canadians, so you get beautiful beaches and good food, but with more of an authentic Mexico feel. It is south of Acapulco, there are flights that go directly there out of most major airports. The beaches are excellent, the nightlife is good and it is more quiet and way less touristy than Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Acapulco or Puerto Vallarta. Wherever you go, enjoy!