Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

cell phone or calling card in Costa Rica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
Hubby and I will be going to Arenal area of CR on July 26-31st. I haven't been out of the country since cell phones were invented--lolol, soooo
is it better to add international to my cell phone or use a calling card?
thanks in advance,
Holly
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Any advice from those of you that have gone is appreciated.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM

I have used my cell in CR with no problems. However the per minute fee is pretty expensive. But I liked the option of being able to call home (kids at home) and have them reach me when it was convenient.

Just be sure to have international calling added before you leave.

Also, last trip I had an international SIMM chip which was much less expensive. I just switched it with my regular chip - you have to have your phone unlocked prior to leaving - to do this.

There was a recent thread about this, which I didn't really follow - maybe someone can chime in. On where to get a current SIMM chip. The company we used previously doesn't seem to be providing them anymore from what I think the thread said.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Have you thought of taking your laptop and using SKYPE? Skype to Skype calls are free, and Skype to cell or land lines costs pennies a minute. That's how we communicated with home the last trip we took. Most hotels have free internet access.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 12:12 PM

Cell phones are convenient for QUICK calls. However, keep in mind than any calls to or from while you have the Int'l service turned on, will be at those high rates. Calling cards are cheap and easy and that's the way I prefer to go. You can use while passing a pay phone or at your hotel. DO NOT use hotel phones even using credit cards or collect, huge surcharges. I hate taking a laptop (don't and won't) on vacay, and if you and your friends don't have SKYPE already it probably isn't worth setting up unless you plan on using it long term, but that is another option. Just my dos colones. ;-)
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Just for comparison, if you use a Costa Rican calling card, you'll pay 27 cents per minute for a call to the U.S., 24/7. You can buy a card for 3,000 colones (a little over $5). That would give you around 20 minutes of calls.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 01:21 PM

One things regarding international cell phones plans, my husband has one for business, but there were several places where we couldn't get reception; I guess because there were no towers nearby. On our last trip, it started ringing in the middle of Lake Arenal which was weird because it hadn't been working elsewhere. It just started bonging as all his millions of business e-mails downloaded.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

ok, if we buy a calling card, do you have to use a pay phone then to avoid hotel surcharges? and if so, buy it here in the states or wait and buy it there?
thanks,
Holly
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 03:36 PM

You will not have to pay surcharges at a hotel when using a calling card. However, some hotels have it set up so that you can't use a calling card from the room and that's just bogus. For instance, at Orquideas Inn, you have to use the phone in reception. At least it's available, I guess, and some hotels don't have phones in the room anyway.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 07:15 PM

These particular cards you can buy only in Costa Rica. You dial 199 and can use them from any phone. As HVC says, some hotels block their use from room phones. As she also says, depending on how far afield you travel, many out-country hotels don't have room phones anyway.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 10:05 AM

Just checked on this.

My current phone (thru Verizon) is not Nicaragua or Costa Rica compatible.

Verizon will rent you the appropriate phone at no cost beyond shipping (about $10) and charges for time used. The rates are ruinous...$2.89 per minute, texts @ .50 sent, .05 received. I've elected to get one of their rentals for emergency use only for my upcoming Nica/Tico adventure.