Casa Corcovado/Hiking Info Needed

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casa Corcovado/Hiking Info Needed

I'd like to go to Casa Corcovado in Costa Rica in July. Their packages include trips to Corcovado National Park and Cano Island. Can anyone tell me if you can hike to the park on your own? What kind of trails are there in the park which are within walking distance of Casa Corcovado? I'm not looking for all day treks, just shorter hikes of a few hours. I'd like to do this on the days when there are no tours.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

ttt.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Yes, you can hike into the park on your own. A path to the nearest ranger station connects with the road that goes up from the beach to the grounds of Casa Corcovado. You could walk down road to it pretty easily. But you'll probably see more with a guide. We did the walk with the guide and saw so many things -- crocodile, hummingbird nest, anteater, various birds, boa constrictor and more.

There are also trails on CC's grounds you can take. We did this the first afternoon we were there and saw monkeys, birds, blue morpho butterfly etc.

You'll love Casa Corcovado!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information! I do plan to hike with a guide but once in a while I'd like to do a little hiking on my own.

What other beaches are within walking distance of the lodge? I understand they have their own small beach, but isn't there a long beach within the park?
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Yes, they do have their own beach (wouldn't call in small - pretty long actually I thought) -- we spent some time watching leaf cutter ants there - fascinating -- also scarlet macaws. They have a nice shaded area with beach chairs etc there.

And yes, there is a long beach within the park as well. You'll stop for lunch and some time to swim at this beach when you do the hike with the guide.

Just so you'll know - neither is a "short walk." In fact many people took Casa's tractor/carrier from the lodge/grounds down to the Casa beach -- maybe it's a 1/4 to 1/2 mile down the road. But certainly walkable for most- we walked. In between the lodge and the beach is another hill - which is where Casa's Sunset Bar is located. Everyone convenes there to watch the sunset. Great view. We saw howler monkeys down there too!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

The walk isn't a problem at all. Hiking is the main reason I want to go. Your information has been helpful.