Search

Beaches in Osa and near BDC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beaches in Osa and near BDC

My fiance and I will be honeymooning in Costa Rica in August, and we know that we want to spend a few days at Bosque del Cabo. For people that have been there, are the beaches at BDC ones that you can relax at? Are there any other beaches/resorts/hotels on Osa that you would recommend for relaxing purposes?

Our honeymoon will be for 10 days, so we may choose another beach destination in CR before/after visiting Osa, but I wanted to get some feedback/advice from the experienced travelers on this board!

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 10:14 AM

We were there last March, and we hiked down to one of the two beaches. It was a good hot hike to get there, and we took a quick dip to cool off, walked on the beach a bit, and then went off to meet our prearranged pick up.

You definitely could bring food (I think they'll pack you a lunch) and relax on the beach; the waves were big so it wasn't appealing (to me) to stay in for a long time. BdC also has a pool, which (though often full of kids) is a nice place to relax.

I know we passed at least one inn/hotel on the beach level when we were walking to our pickup point, but I have to say that it was much hotter at the beach than up on the cliff at BdC, and you could access the beach every day from BdC if you were willing to hike.

I'm sure the many BdC fans on the board will have more detail, but hopefully this helps a little!
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Pacific side is unswimmable, but has beautiful tide pools and a great waterfall about 30 down the beach to your right. Very steep hike down, 20 min, even steeper back up! Or so it seems!. . . .you have to go at low tide.

The Golfo Dulce side has 3 beaches and the hike down about 1.5 hour depending on how much you stop to look at this and that. You can, as it was said, take a box lunch, spend the day, and arrange a pick up.

In August, it will be cooler than in March. Not cool, but cooler and much more pleasant.

You'll have a great time! We'll be there in July. Congratulations and happy honeymooning!
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 11:14 AM

t, some people split their time between BdC and someplace like the Iguana Lodge with easier beach access. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 06:02 PM

As Shillmac mentioned, the Pacific beach is quite a hike down, and a good stairmaster workout on the way up. So not exactly a "grab a cocktail and saunter over to the beach" type of location. But, the tide pools are really cooling and relaxing, plus, you could likely be on the beach all by yourselves - nice for a honeymoon. You could easily pack a lunch and perhaps grab a couple of Imperials (plus lots of water) to enjoy time on the beach. Depending upon how much of your vacation you want to devote to being on the beach, you may want to consider other spots for beach days.

Old Apr 6th, 2008, 06:37 PM

BdC is a wonderful place, but don't expect a beach with nice loungers and a beach bar.

We are ones that split our time. 4 at BdC and then 3 at Iguana Lodge. It seemed to be a perfect mix for us.