Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Casa Andrea or Quinta Real for first night of honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A while back you guys gave us a lot of suggestions. We will be honeymooning, in July, at El Tamarindo but will be staying in PV for the first night.

We are not familiar with the areas at all. Fiance and I have narrowed down the choices to Casa Andrea and Quinta Real. Yes, very different. I know that Quinta is in the Marina and Casa is down towards Playa los Muertos (i believe that is it).

What are people's thoughts? As far as relation to things to see, eat, etc. We want something really different than our private villa we will have for the week.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 08:33 AM

Jlh370,
I don't know anything about Casa Andrea but I have stayed at the Quinta and found it to be fabulous. My husband and I stayed at the Quinta after a few nights at Majahuitas and the contrast was perfect for us. The marina area is further from town - we usually took a taxi into town. We walked into town one day, but that is definitely not something you could do every day from the marina. The marina area has some good restaurants and a great beach area and golf course, but we usually went into town to see and do things. Majahuitas is isolated, so the first thing we wanted to do when we got to the Quinta is go and see the city of PV. The Quinta has a beautiful pool area and gorgeous grounds. We had a great plunge pool right outside our room and the water was so warm, it was like a nice bath to soak in every evening and watch the sunset. My only complaint is that everything is tile or marble, so when you're in your room you can hear the clicking of high heels down the hallway every once in awhile. Also, if you are not already aware, the Quinta is not on the beach, but there is a beach club in walking distance that is on a nice, uncrowded stretch of beach. The beach club is really beautiful and very chic, but if you want to swim, stay at the hotel. The pool at the beach club is pretty small - the beach club is more for lying around, watching the ocean and having people bring you drinks and food. The hotel has mountain bikes that you can use free of charge and we rode two of the bikes to the beach club and around the marina area and had a great time. The staff at the Quinta was incredibly attentive. I have pictures if you are interested and there is a picture tour of the Quinta at differentworld.com.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 06:19 PM

It's rather like comparing apples with pears. Quinta Real is a resort type hotel, Casa Andrea is a small private mini hotel, that is far more romantic.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 09:25 PM
dp

I would say location is a prime concern given the fact that you will only be in PV for one night, then heading south to Tamarindo. Agreeing with JR that it is more romantic, and the access to a great area of restaurants in walking distance to choose from, I think Casa Andrea wins. Your time will be limited, so why spend it going back and forth from the marina to town, when you can use it for more exploring time that evening and maybe in the morning before you leave?
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can only speak to Casa Andrea. I have stayed there several times. It is a lovely, quiet, very pretty setting. I think of it like staying with well-to-do Mexican relatives (if only I had some!). It is only 1 block from Playa Los Muertos (local beach), with many restaurants, shopping, etc. within easy walking distance. Andrea's only has 10 units, each with an open air patio kitchen looking into the beautiful courtyard gardens. Nice pool area. Free coffee and rolls on the patio in the morning.

I don't know Quinta Real, and have never stayed out at The Marina, but as JR mentioned, I've got to guess you couldn't find 2 more different places to try and compare.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
One more thought, about the two locations...

The Marina area is a tourist resort zone, pretty much like you'd find anywhere.

'South of the river' sometimes dubbed Zona Romantica in promotions is a quaint, authentic neighborhood.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! We decided on Casa Andrea. We were shocked at the price difference. Almost 4x as expensive to stay at Quinta. After reading the comments we decided that the feel and location of Casa Andrea were exactly what we wanted. As always, thank you!