Search

Carnival in Rio

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 07:42 PM
gary sue roper

Carnival in Rio

My wife and I are thinking of going to Carnival in Rio in 2000. Haven't travelled alot and never to Brazil.Would like any info people would care to share on Carnival-experiences, hotels etc. Also if anyone knows of any Web sites (other bulletin boards etc.) that would also be very helpful. thanks in advance for any replies.

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 08:47 AM
Erin

I've been to Rio (and am returning in late February 2000), but never during Carnival. Be prepared...they are expecting a lot of people for Carnival 2000. Most hotels have for 5 day-stay minimum during carnivals, especially the more expensive hotels. On top of the 5 day minimum, the hotels really jack up their prices for Carnival. <BR> <BR>To find information on Rio and hotels, try www.ipanema.com. I found them to have the best listing of Rio hotels. I believe Carnival 2000 is the 1st week of February. For more info on Rio, contact me at [email protected].

Old Jul 5th, 1999, 10:33 AM
erin

By the way, according to a Brazilian travel agency, Carnival 2000 is the first week of March.

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 07:47 AM
Tammy

In 1998 I was in Rio for carnival. We attend one evening of the parade which started at 8pm and last until sunrise. It was a lot of fun watching the different samba schools with all the elaborate floats, but the stadium was extremely crowded by tons of tourists. If you expect to go to find a lot of locals in Rio during carnival, you may be disappointed. It was my understanding that the locals of Rio leave and go to smaller communities to celebrate. In the northeast, they are suppose to have the very traditional celebrations for carnival. <BR> <BR>Rio is a wonderful city, with the most picturesque setting of anything where in the world (at least my opinion). <BR> <BR>Have fun and e-mail if you have any questions.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 10:18 AM
bruce

If you want to really experience a good <BR>Carnaval- I suggest you go to Salvador,Bahia Brasil- there is nothing like it in all of Brasil- In Rio -its mostly tourist- the Cariocas either go to <BR>Buzios or Cabo Frio or Salvador! <BR>

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 10:19 AM
bruce

If you want to really experience a good <BR>Carnaval- I suggest you go to Salvador,Bahia Brasil- there is nothing like it in all of Brasil- In Rio -its mostly tourist- the Cariocas either go to <BR>Buzios or Cabo Frio or Salvador! <BR>You can lookat www.worldsamba.org if you still want to go to Rio <BR>

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 08:41 PM
felipe

It is true that we Cariocas (people from Rio de Janeiro) leave the city during carnival, which will be in the first week of march. <BR> <BR>However, the good part of it is that the city becomes empty, in the good sense. There are no traffic jams and everything is wonderfull. My parents never go away because they love the city during carnival. <BR> <BR>On the other side, we have Bahia/Salvador, which becomes really crowded during carnival. There is no samba at Bahia. What you will hear there is local typical music. Anyway, it is a typical music which has spread all over the country. <BR> <BR>If want to see the samba schools and be in a non-stressing city. This place is Rio de JAneiro. <BR> <BR>If want to go to a crowded place with a lot of music and swing, than this place is Salvador / Bahia. <BR> <BR>Now, if want to meet Cariocas, then come to Rio for the millenium rool over. <BR>We are preparing a hugh New years celebration. <BR> <BR>Hope it helps. <BR>Felipe <BR>

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 04:52 PM
Kummel

If you decide to buy tickets for the Samba School's Parade, the best sector is #11. Is a sector reserved for turists. The hosts are used to deal with turists and some of them speak good English. The best view is from the tables at the street level, right beside the place where the musicians "park" while the Samba School parades right in front of you. It's unforgetable.