Car rental from Cancun airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if I got ripped off on a recent trip. My GF and I booked a rental car with Avis via Expedia, for pickup at the Cancun airport. The Expedia rate was around $15 per day. At the Avis desk, however, we learned that full insurance would cost an extra $90 per day. The Fodors book recommends getting the extra insurance — so we bit the bullet. Definitely seems like too much in retrospect.

For future reference, what’s a reasonable all-in per day cost, for an ordinary sedan? What insurance makes sense and what is excessive? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 09:32 AM

People get nailed by renting from the major chains. We've used local companies - Avant, Easyway and America. Typical rates are about $35 per day with all necessary insurances for an economy car. These agencies all have web sites where you can reserve. They will meet you at the airport and shuttle you the their office. The offices all are about 10 minutes from the airport, on rte 307.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 01:19 PM

Also used Easyway and America in the past. Book directly with a local company and avoid third parties. As you found out they normally will not include the insurance. It usually costs about $35-45 per day for a small sedan (I need an automatic so that is a few $ extra). Liability is mandatory and I also take the CDW. Some people rely on their credit cards for this, but that is reimbursement only. Meaning if you dent a fender you have to pay the damage before you can leave the country.
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 01:17 AM

Avoiding third parties is the key. Usually I double check various plans and companies reviews to make sure that everything runs smoothly and without any unnecessary fees.
Look for travel insurance that covers car rental. I know Allianz, allianztravelinsurance.com has travel insurance policy that's called Allianz Car Damage Protector and it costs $9 a day and covers most countries in the world.
And if you don't know what to choose, check travel insurance marketplace like aardvarkcompare.com where you'll get suggestions for travel insurance plans and reviews

Last edited by ooogra; Apr 11th, 2019 at 01:21 AM.
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 01:33 AM

Avoiding what kind of "3rd party"? It was a 3rd party I booked through and the rate included CDW, unlimited mileage, all taxes, insurances and the one way drop off fee. One post says don't book thru 3rd parties as if all 3rd parties are created equal and another says you get nailed by booking with the major car rental companies.

Isn't the key to read the small print no matter where you book so you know exactly what you have signed up for, what's included, what's not included etc? If you get a rate of $15 a day for a car rental surely it is obvious that this cannot be the complete price ie there must be extras, maybe mileage or insurance etc.