Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Fives Azul in Playa del Carmen - Cockroaches and overall quality? Please help!

Apr 8th, 2019, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Hello all – my family and I (multi-generational with grandparents and two toddlers, who are 3 & 1) have booked a 3 bedroom suite at the Fives Azul Beach Resort Playa Del Carmen during the first week of July. We're 5 adults and 2 kids and have booked a three bedroom suite – it's a splurge because we don't take trips like this very often. We picked the Fives because it was one of the few all-inclusives in the area that let all of us stay together in a suite or connecting rooms.

I started getting concerned reading about reviews mentioning cockroaches and scorpions. I know it's the jungle but I've stayed at other resorts in this area in the past and haven't seen one. It is the one thing I can not stand and it would ruin my vacation if one were to come out of our suitcases or be in our beds (as other reviews mentioned). I wouldn't be able to sleep at night worrying about my kids.

A few reviews also mentioned that the three bedroom suite you see on the website is not what you get in reality. And the the service is not great and not on par with what you are paying.

Has anyone been there in the summer months? What was the "pest" situation? Is there certain things to request in terms of the 3 bedroom suite so we don't have these issues (I.e., certain villas, higher floor, etc.)? Should I speak with the hotel? Or should we cancel our reservation and if so, are there any AIs that would accommodate a group our size?

Thank you very, very much for anything advice you can give me. And please no comments about my being irrational about the roaches and scorpions. It's a really strong fear and one I can not get over.

*I have also posted this on Tripadvisor
Apr 9th, 2019, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Bump. Anyone?
Apr 9th, 2019, 06:44 AM

Well, can't answer your question about this particular resort, but many years ago we were in a beautiful little boutique hotel south of Tulum in late April. One evening it started to rain, my wife was in the shower and I was in the bedroom. I noticed something moving around frantically on the bed. It was a large (4 inches) and scary looking scorpion. I whacked it with a broom and swept it out the door. We called the staff to show them, they took a look and just exclaimed, "Peligroso!".

Anyway to shorten a long story, our room had a thatch roof. That made it charming and rustic looking, but things lived in the thatch. (There was more.) So perhaps just make sure you room doesn't have a thatch roof and the odds of having one are very small.
Apr 9th, 2019, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Yikes! Well we won't have a thatched roof. Look, I know this is a really nice resort. But some of the reviews and photos on TripAdvisor were alarming. They were recent and the frequency was significant. And it seemed that the staff didn't care about getting rid of them and preventing it.
Apr 9th, 2019, 09:14 AM

I don't know a thing about this resort but it's unreasonable to think you won't see a single bug when you are staying in the tropics like that. Cockroaches don't hurt anything. Likely you would see them on the wall or walking across the floor. Just step on them or hit them with the sole of a sturdy sandal.

Scorpions are a different matter and I don't know a thing about them. Other than people check their shoes before putting them on when those are around.

If seeing a single roach would "ruin your vacation" I think you shouldn't vacation in Mexico (or Hawaii or Central America or most of the Caribbean). Truly.
Apr 9th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi Suze, I have traveled a lot in the region –– not Central America, but I have been to different parts of Mexico lots of times and also many Caribbean islands. And I've stayed in budget and nice accommodations. And yes, I've seen roaches around the property and in the outside world.

But never in my hotel room. Not every day for my entire stay. Never inside the bed covers or coming out of my suitcase or handbag. Or flying around in a bathroom –– It was these specifics that recent reviews for this hotel mentioned. So I posed the questions on the board for people who have been to this actual hotel. Does this resort actually have a pest problem? Or are they just random occurrences? And...I was also inquiring about other aspects of the experience there.

I don't think I'm being precious by asking about this. I live in New York City and I see rats, roaches, and giant waterbugs all the time. But I don't think it's unreasonable to worry that I will see them where I sleep in a luxury resort that I am spending lots of money on. If you disagree, that's fine. You are you, and I am me.

Last edited by Suzy_Q; Apr 9th, 2019 at 10:59 AM.
Apr 9th, 2019, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Or you could've just not responded if my question did not pertain to you and your specific experiences. But instead, you had to be condescending about my concerns just because they are not your concerns, all while not actually answering any of my questions.

And I see that you're a very active contributor on this site and I have no doubt you've shared great advice – but I am free to use this resource in a way I see fit. For the record, I did send a few PMs but didn't get responses, so I posted on the forums. Thanks for the tip though.
Apr 9th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

There was no indication in your OP that you are experienced in traveling in the region. I thought you were a 1st timer.
In my OP, second paragraph, second sentence: I know it's the jungle but I've stayed at other resorts in this area in the past and haven't seen one.

Maybe read more carefully next time?
Apr 9th, 2019, 11:50 AM

I've been to that area many times and have stayed in AI. Never had a critter issue.

I will say that if you are in Playa del Carmen you must have a meal at El Fogon. You can thank me later.
Apr 9th, 2019, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I was last in PDC back in 2005 (!) so the suggestion is welcome. Will definitely be venturing into town one day with or without the kiddos
Apr 11th, 2019, 04:13 AM

I just went to Trip Advisor and most of the reviews gave it four or five stars. I didn't see any reviews mentioning bugs.
Hopefully you won't encounter any either.
Apr 11th, 2019, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Yes I know they are! I don't want anyone to think I'm making this all up. I booked the hotel because it had great reviews. After booking, I did a search for "three bedroom suite" because that's the room type we're staying in and I wanted to know what people thought of it.

And the first review that came up was from March 2019 about someone who stayed in that room, was really disappointed with how the room looked (versus how it was presented on the website) and they had a cockroach problem everyday. Once I saw that review, I did a search for "cockroach" and that's when other reviews came up. Believe me, I was hoping to see no other ones.

I'm not sure how TA's algorithm works and why it only shows some "recent reviews" – all positive – and not others. I.e., the one from March 2019 should have showed up torwards the beginning. But it didn't. Interesting I guess.

Anyway, we have decided to stick to our reservation.
Apr 11th, 2019, 07:58 PM

Suzy_Q, like many sites that post reviews, you can see the worse ones by clicking on any line under the headings "Reviews" & "traveler rating" to find the bad news, for instance "Terrible" for the worst reviews, on up to "Excellent", the best. The reviews for any category you choose will then appear below.
Apr 11th, 2019, 08:06 PM

Keep in mind that the majority of people that bother to comment post negative experiences more often than those that have positive experiences. And those that post positive reviews tend to exaggerate. Be sure and post your objective review, whether positive or negative, after your trip.
Apr 12th, 2019, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

MmePerdu Yes totally understand how review sites work. My point was that Most Recent, doesn't necessarily mean most recent. And I was not searching for bad reviews. I was trying to find out more about the room type, which inadvertently led to the cockroach review from a few weeks back.

baldone Yes, I am aware of how the psychology of reviewing works. Will share my experience later in the summer and hopefully it will be wonderful.

Thanks everyone for responding. I was hoping to hear from someone who has actually stayed at the hotel, so please respond if you have or of course, if you have PDC-related tips you want to share like gmoney I'm educated on the jungle and tropics habitat and how to use TripAdvisor.
Apr 12th, 2019, 09:20 AM

(That'll teach me.)
Apr 12th, 2019, 11:32 AM

Let me ask my son. He is staying at the Fives but is currently at a cenote.
Apr 12th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! That would be great. I don’t usually do this kind of second guessing. It’s a big trip and I booked it so I feel pressure to make it good for everyone (knowing perfect is impossible).
Apr 12th, 2019, 11:54 AM

We are staying at a condo in Akumal and could not love it more. Everyone else is in Playa del Carmen.
Apr 12th, 2019, 06:04 PM

Okay, so I spoke with my son and he said the hotel is really nice. They do have a room overlooking the ocean but he thinks it’s kind of loud. Apparently there is a peacock that live across the street. He recommended having a room in a inner part and it will be quieter. He did say the rooms are nice and the staff is very accommodating. Tomorrow is his wedding

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO