Search

Cano Negro Help!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cano Negro Help!

I'm trying to book the Cano Negro tour through Sunset Tours... and they list 2 different tours, one at $80 and one at $55. For the life of me, I can't figure out the difference. The scary thing: I've been on the phone with their U.S. office, and she doesn't know the difference. I asked her to call the La Fortuna office directly because I don't want to get the wrong tour! Can anyone remember what they paid per person?

On the rate page of their website, the $80 tour is listed as "Cano Negro Wildlife Refuge by Boat" (Departs 7:30am, Returns 3:30 pm).

The $55 tour is listed as "Cano Negro Regular Rio Frio by Boat"

What's scaring me is the nice (but confused) girl in the U.S. office is convinced it's the less expensive one. She's making me nervous! I know I could probably wait to book it when I get there, but since it'll be high season (mid-December) I didn't want to take a chance and have them fill up, since it's a popular tour.

volcanogirl, anyone???
thanks!
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 09:47 AM

What website are you looking at? I can only see one, this one, which I'm sure is the one you would want.

http://www.sunsettourscr.com/index.p...negrotour#ftop
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Yes, this is the web page I was looking at... when you click on "rates" at the bottom of the page, it shows you the various Cano Negro options.

The woman at Sunset Tours U.S. called La Fortuna and they said the $55 tour was the one they always book, and they almost never do the $80 tour. I hope I'm not getting bad info! I was assured this tour was the full day in a covered boat, so I hope she booked the right one.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 11:06 AM

Oh, now I see it...Yes, I'm sure you chose the right one. The descrip of the Rio Frio is the same as the one we took. It's wierd there is no descrip for the Wildlife Refuge one, only a price.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Hey Carol M - big thanks for the heads up on this! I had booked the $80 tour, b/c I figured it was a much better tour, but I now switched to the cheaper one.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 12:09 PM

OK this answers my question too.

If we book this tour and it rains, then what happens?

Can you still do this tour in the rain??
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Yep, we did the Rio Frio tour too. Loved it!

Regarding the rain, we had nice weather for a good portion of the boat ride, and then we had a huge downpour; the boat had a roof, so we were fine, and it also had clear, flexible plastic sides they could pull down to keep the rain out when the wind started blowing. I don't think I would have enjoyed the entire tour in the rain because that tends to send a lot of the animals into hiding, but for the brief downpour, it was kind of neat to be out there in the middle of nowhere and enjoy the rain. I can't say enough good things about Sunset Tours; they did a great job.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks guys... i can breathe easy now!