Cancun Restaurant Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Cancun for a business trip. Any restaurant suggestions? I'm certainly not expecting world-class cuisine in Cancun, particularly since I live in NYC and get it every day, but some interesting options would be great.

Many thanks!
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 08:46 AM

go to the Blue Bayou which is located in the Hyatt Cancun Carib...excellent dining experience.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 09:22 AM

True 5 star food is hard to find in Cancun but there are some excellent places that come close.

The only hotel that has anything remotely gourmet is the Club Grill in the Ritz Carlton. We've had absolutely sensational meals there and one that was not up to par. (At $250-$350 for dinner for 2, it needs to be good ALL the time.)

My favorite for great food, gorgeous and romantic atmosphere, and an extensive wine list is La Habichuela.

There's a Ruth's Chris there - don't waste your time. Usually, I like the chain but this is not one of their better locations. Besides, you can get steak at home.

If you do go to La Habichuela, try the shrimp dish served inside a hollowed out coconut shell - the Cocobichuela I think. WOW!

For lunch, La Brisa beside the Camino Real is very nice and has a lovely ocean view. The various grilled fish are the best menu items.

For a fun dinner with your associates, don't miss Maria Bonita. A really cool place with live music and a large menu and food that is usually very good. The experience there is hard to describe, but it's always a good time. They have an extensive list of premium tequilas - yum!

Have fun! (Tough not to in Cancun!)
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank You! I'm actually staying at the Hyatt Cancun Caribe, so the Blue Bayou will be very convenient.

Great suggestions, Diana. I imagine I'll try most of them. (7 night trip)

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:01 AM

The dish Diana is referring to has mostly lobster in a curry sauce in a coconut at LaHabichuela. While I am not a food critic I am also not a neophyte concerning fine dining. LaHabichuela is excellent in every aspect. The Lobster thermidor is also good as are any of the grilled fish specials. Bananas flambe is a nice finish and either Mayan or Irish Coffee (Buena Vista style). They have a web site and I would advise reservations through it for garden seating.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:26 AM

We had an excellent dinner at Laguna Grill about 2 weeks ago. However, someone else posted here that there was a distinct odor drifting into the restaurant the night they were there...
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 06:22 AM

That was me Buzzy. Loved the setting and the food was good. Just the wrong wind direction from some treatment plant.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:54 PM

I have heard really great things about Club Grill and La Habichuela.

I would avoid--at all costs--Lorenzillo's where my husband and I had the worst dining experience of our lives. That place is a total tourist trap. First, they told us (and, as we later found out as they seated others around us--everyone at the restaurant) that they were out of menus (when there were only about 5 other people in the dining room). We realized that they do this so that they can suggest something to you that you'll order without realizing what it really costs. We didn't get suckered into this one, but a couple next to us did. Second, they suggested an appetizer to us that was not on the menu (we checked the menu and there wasn't an appetizer over $15 on it) and we ordered it. When the bill came, we realized that they charged us $30 for four pieces (albeit large) of shrimp and some garlic sauce! They also charged me $3 when I ordered a glass of water. The food itself was mediocre. To make matters worse, my husband and I both ended up with a horrible case of tourista, which came on very soon after we'd left the restaurant (and this was the first meal we ate when we arrived in Cancun).
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 02:53 PM

Sorry to hear that beachgirl! We ate there once in 2000 and agree with you that it has all the ambience of a tourist trap. Still surprised how many people like it but to each her own!!!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 03:24 PM

So funny! The only good thing about Lorenzillo's is the location!
What a rip off that place is.
Our experience there the first time we went to Cancun was so bad that we vowed to never return.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:58 AM

Where is LaHibichuela?
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:33 PM

Avenue Marguritas downtown. Every taxi driver knows it!