Cancun - question about water/ice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2009, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read that most resorts in Cancun have purified water, not bottled water. We are staying at the Oasis Palm Beach and I'd like to know if is is safe to comsume ice in beverages at the resort. Do we need to purchase bottled water for brushing our teeth? What precautions do fodorites take when visiting Mexico when it comes to water?

Thanks.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 08:02 AM
kja

While in Mexico, I preferred to err on the side of safety, so I avoided ice and used bottled water for everything, including brushing my teeth and cleaning my contact lenses. I did not stay at the Oasis Palm Beach, so cannot speak to their water.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 08:17 AM

If you are staying ob the strip (which I believe the Oasis Palm Beach is on the strip), water is completely purified. I cannot say I drink it but I do use ice in drinks at resturants and no problem brushing your teeth. I have going to Cancun for 10 years with not problems at all with the water. If you go into the city of Cancun, I would skip the ice in your drinks.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 08:49 AM

I would not drink water out of the faucet, but I would use ice cubes. The main Cancun strip and the major touristy areas along the Mayan Riviera all seem to use purified water in hotels and restaurants. We've eaten in many restaurants, had drinks with ice, ate salads, etc. and had no problems.

That being said, it's not a bad idea to bring some Pepto Pismal tables along and have one before each meal just as a precaution.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 10:10 AM

My local travel clinic insists you can't clean lettuce well enough to make it safe. I have no idea if that's true. I eat lettuce salads all over Mexico and Central America (although lettuce is hard to find some places), and have never had a problem.

I do use bottled water to brush my teeth. I tried the Pepto Bsimol tablets before a meal one trip, the side effects from the Pepto were gross.....
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I tend to be overly cautious and try to avoid all tap water and ice cubes. For drinks, I stick to bottled water and, of course, vino and cerveza. In Acapulco last year I made the mistake of ordering a salad (without even thinking about it) and was sick for the next couple of days. I attribute it to the salad because it was the only thing I had eaten that was not cooked and I had not been drinking any water. Since it really sucks to be "intestinally distressed" on vacation, I probably avoid more than I have to (other than that damn salad!).
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 11:38 AM

Should've and did known better but since everything seemed well at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo (was in Cancun for 4 days and Paraiso for 8), I caved and had salad with hard boiled egg, icecubes in drinks, also accidently ingested a little lazy river water, and I got sick beyond belief (painful diarrhea and passed out/fell on marble floor in bathroom). Drank Pepto and ate Ritz crackers with peanut butter for a couple days. Was not "better" until got home and even then it was torture. (sorry if too detailed)

Don't drink the water (brush with bottled), don't eat ice, lettuce, be careful and watch for food that's been sitting in the heat/flys. And wash your hands.

If I had a chance to go back to Mexico I probably would but the eating/drinking would be very boring.
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 11:39 AM

I have only been to Puerto Vallarta and the Mayan Riviera and didn't take any special precautions that I can remember. I read that those major resort areas have purified water. I may have drunk bottled water, but don't think I had salads any place, anyway. Mexico isn't exactly the place to go for great salads, anyway, IMO. I think I might have tried using bottled water for my teeth, but probably lapsed on that a little bit.
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 03:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Look at the ice cubes (you can tell by their shape). Most resorts & restaurants in tourist areas of Mexico use ice that is delivered in plastic bags from the purified ice factory. They aren't making ice themselves from the tap water.

I only drink bottled water in Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, La Paz (the places I've visited so far in Mexico, about 20 trips total). I figure it's an easy enough precaution to take.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 05:03 AM

In Cancun the strip hotels have purified water (from the taps)and we had no problems eating ice or teeth brushing.

In condos in Akumal we have been provided with large purified water dispensers which we used for drinking, teeth brushing, making ice and washing vegetables, etc.

I have eaten salads at hotels and restaurants in the hotel zone in Cancun and also in Tulum and Akumal and not had a problem. Maybe I have cast iron insides?!

Oh, I did get very sick in Turkey once (don't drink the water there lol!)
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been to Cancun and the Riviera Maya several times and do drink the tap water, but do use ice everyday and have only had a problem when I've eaten salad. The resorts in which I've stayed supply as much bottled water as you want.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Just got back from Cancun last night. Tap water was fine, ice was fine. We take some Imoduim A-D along just in case something else gets us.