Cancun or Cabo Beaches/Hotels?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:09 PM
Carolyn

Cancun or Cabo Beaches/Hotels?

I heard that there were 2 main beach areas in Cancun and one had milder surf. Which area is calmer and what is the nicest hotel in that area? We like very quiet & laid back. Is that possible in Cancun? Also heard Cabo is a little seedy. All comments appreciated. Thanks.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:33 PM
EJS

I think you've got it mixed up. Cancun is somewhat seedy (though, really not that bad) and Cabo is generally more quiet and tranquil. We just got back from Cabo (Westin Regina resort) and loved it. Would go back in a minute over Cancun.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 02:48 PM
bill simpson

The last poster must have stayed inside the resort. I have been to Cabo & its an absolute dump of a village. Someone could give me a free ticket to that place & I wouldn't take it. You need to investigate the sitiuation in Cabo before making any decision to go there. Look at some of the other postings. It's a fact that many of the local businesses are moving out of there. The fishing charter business is half of what it used to be due to lack of controls over the fishing. The place is fished out & that's what it was, a fishing village, before the Mexican government decided to make it a tourist location. The village is full of dirty seedy bars with much reduced business these days so if you go into those places be very careful. There is a lot of drugs and teenaged prositutes around & of course that draws a certain unsavory element to the place. Time share hucksters abound - they are everywhere. I could go on, but I hope you got the picture. Beware of people who recommend Cabo, a lot of them are folks who got suckered into a time share in Cabo & they don't want the place to sink into more than nothing - it's already nothing.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:00 PM
xxx

Bill you summed it up so elequently.

About the People that bought down there. Well they all lookin for another sucker like themselves to buy into it.
They goin be stuck owning In Cabo for a long long long time is my opinion on the matter.

Trust No One.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:46 PM
Carolyn

Thanks Bill, you confirmed what I was told. So what about Cancun or maybe PV?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:34 PM
bill simpson

Hi Carolyn. I don't know about Cancun. I am checking it out now since we are considering a trip there. We are leaning toward Playa del Carmen (I think that's the correct spelling) which is south of Cancun but I still have much work to do on an itinerary. I would like to see the Maya ruins etc.
I have been to PV & we had a great time there. The main part of town is clean, the ocean front walk is nice, & there were many good restaurants to choose from in the village. We felt safe. Some evenings the locals performed dances in the downtown outdoor plaza. The locals were a different brand of folks from many you would meet on the street in Cabo. They appeared to have some pride in their town of PV. There were time share hucksters but they weren't everywhere like Cabo nor did they hound you like at Cabo. The beach was not impressive but we don't spend that much time on the beaches - more time around a pool. I know that the ocean water on the Pacific side is not nearly as warm or clear as in the Caribbean.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:51 PM
Anon

xxx the spelling is eloquently.
Well put Bill.
P.V. has by far the best choice or restaurants and eateries and far outdoes Cabo. Check out LeBistro, Cafe Ole, Cafe Brazil, They have some good piano and jazz bars and a better quality of customer. P.V. promotes Family Values . Cabo Promotes Cheap booze, sex and drugs there is the difference IMHO.
The old town has character and charm wonderful handcraft and leather shops.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 08:01 AM
jane

Carolyn, just remember that you get what you pay for in Mexico. Go for 5-star to get our 3-star quality. The nicest beach and hotel in Cancun is the Fiesta Americana Coral Beach. We didn't go to Playa del Carmen as we wanted to be where the action was. In Cabo, go for the resorts out of town like the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar, Westin, or Hilton, The beaches are rough in Cabo, however.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Michelle

I wouldn't write off the Cabo area. I won a trip there last year and was not at all excited to go and absolutely loved it. We visited all three tourist areas and each has it's own appeal. We spent part of the trip on the corridor at a tiny resort called Casa Del Mar which was one of the most beautiful resorts I have ever been to. (The Travel Channel has it on its top 10 Latin America hotel list) I have been to beaches all over the world including Hawaii and this area was at the top of my list. Casa Del Mar is right next to Las Ventanas which in excess of $700/night..I have heard that this is where Hollywood stars stay in Mexico. Walking around this resort is a jaw-dropping experience. Most all the hotels in the corridor are very upscale with gorgeous sprawling grounds etc. North of the corridor is San Jose Del Cabo which is a very quaint "real" Mexican village. We did venture down to Cabo on few occasions and I wouldn't consider it seedy. We walked around late at night and never felt uncomfortable. Also spent some time shopping during the day and had a great time bartering for silver in the local markets. I am the type of person who considers a 4-star hotel roughing it and thought the area was great. Yes you will see a lot of poverty and depressed areas between the resort areas but this is Mexico..kind of gives you a reality check. I was extremely surprised to enjoy my trip as much as I did and would go back in a heartbeat. The area gives you a bit of everything, great resorts, a real Mexico experience with shopping, restaurants etc, and natural beauty beyond compare (El Arco).

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Christie

Sounds like you'd like Playa Del Carmen. It is south of Cancun, and is a very nice area with a bunch of AI resorts. We were there last fall and stayed at the Riu Playcar and just loved it. The surf is very low, the sand is like white powder, and the water is turquoise blue.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Colonial in Fall

Personally I would by pass them altogether and do the Colonial Towns. Lets face many of you are not going to swimming in the Water Especially Cabo's horrible undertows and very dangerous.

Now in August/October the Temperature is just right and the price is not nearly as high for good eats, and accomadtion. Remember Cabo had a horrible Hurricance Last year and Cancun has had them as well.
For Good Silver there is Taxco.
The money you save you can have an extra week next year.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 12:40 PM
ann

the beach in cancun is out of this world! Gorgeous with a capital G!!! Cabo beaches are only average at best. Cancun is expensive, but it was much much nicer than I expected, and I'm glad I had the chance to visit if only once in my life. If I had never been to Cabo., I never would've missed it!

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Crystal

We visited Cancaun last December. We wanted to try different hotels and stayed at four different hotels - Fiesta Americana Condesa, Sheraton, Costa Real and the A.I. Carribean Village. We've been to Hawaii several times(all four of the main islands)and I thought the beaches at Cancun were just gorgeous. (Although Hawaii is still my number 1 beach destination). We'll go back to Cancun next February 2003. We are planning to see Cabos (for the first time)in October 2002. We'll be staying at Fiesta Americana Grand Los Cabos. We enjoyed the Fiesta Americana hospitality when we were in Cancun.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Vicky

There's no comparison. Cancun has nearly all hotels facing the beach. Beautiful white sand and corals. Then you can go to Cosumel--- a dream come true. you can rent snorkling equipment and just follow the . yes, they haveto keep a keen eye on tourists but you have to understand that with so many

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Vicky

Carolyn, my message got interrupted for some reason. We go to Cabo every year to go fishing. We don't go to big hotels where they have all the partying and enjoy it in as quiet a way as possible. If you like partying, that's the place to be! Contact me for more. Vic PS what do you look for in either place?

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Susan

Carolyn,

I have travelled with my family to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Cancun(both PV and Cancun this summer). To us, Cancun was by far the best destination for us. Let me know if you want specifics.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Carolyn

Thanks everyone for your comments. We usually go to Hawaii and have been to all the islands several times. Our favorite is the North Kohala area of the Big Island. We don't like to rough it at all and prefer 5*, clean, quiet, good food, with gorgeous beaches, and don't care about nightlife, sports or activities. We just want to veg out in paradise and have a no hassle vacation. I am trying to talk my husband into trying Mexico since my airline has gotten so "customer unfriendly" in the Hawaii upgrade policies. 5 hours is too long in coach for me and I won't pay for first. We live in Southern Cal so the Carib. is too far/too many connections. Thanks for all your help.