Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

cancun, cozumel, p.v. cabo san lucas???? for 4/5 days which is least touristy?

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 09:57 PM
diane

Wanting to escape from work in Northern Calif, for 3-5 days. Tempted by cheap air fares on Best Fares to Mexico, especially Cabo. Wanted to see the birthing of whales, thought it was Cabo but can't find much on it other than whale trips which I have right where I live in San Francisco area. Prefer tropical to desert feeling of Cabo. Not happy in touristy areas. Would like input from people who have been there before. Thanks... would be glad to help on San Francsico area questions. Diane

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 12:35 AM
john

p.v. is your best bet, out of your list.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 12:58 AM
john

i forgot to tell you to check out barns & noble's travel guild section,for the cities you mentioned,a few give all the information you might need.services,hotel rates &, location,tranportation & more. john

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Marie

Look into the Mayan Riviera, Playa Del Carmen, you fly into Cancun, about an hour drive south, a fishing community which has been built up, but nothing like Cancun, with perfect white sand and the Carribean Blue, P.V. will give you mountains, but not the white sand nor the turquoise blue.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 09:10 AM
mexicodan

You should head over to Magdalena bay where the calving lagoons are located. I'm sure there is a tour company doing that from Cabo!!

adios!
mexicodan
www.lamanzanillamexico.info

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Anony

I think P.V. will be your best choice for relaxing. Check out www.molinodegua.com in the Old Part of P.V. Better prices than Cabo.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 02:01 PM
PV

Another vote for Puerto Vallarta. Just be sure you pick a hotel that is downtown (El Centro) or "south of the river" the Olas Atlas/Playa Los Muertos area. PV has mountains, jungles, surrounding the beautiful Bay of Banderas (yes, I know the water is not as blue as on the Caribbean side) and lovely friendly warm local people.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Patty

mexicodan is right - if you want to see whales calving, you will have to head over to the lagoons on the Pacific side of Baja. Usually this involves taking a small aircraft from Cabo. Also, the calving season is in the winter months (Jan/Feb/Mar) not this time of year. If you want something less touristy, I would suggest heading over to the east cape area rather than staying in Cabo. It's still desert terrain though. Cancun/Cozumel/PV will all be tropical but again these are all very touristy areas. You may want to consider other parts of the Yucatan coast like Akumal which is a quiet beach side community about 60 miles south of Cancun. Hope this helps.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:55 AM
evan

from what I hear...the most relaxing place and not alot of people know about is a place just south of mexico...called Belize. just a suggestion..

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:15 PM
La Paz & PV

La Paz on the Sea of Cortez side of the Baja has whale watching possibilities certain months and is less developed touristically than Cabo.

To posters who insist PV is "very touristy"... they obviously have not spent time in El Centro and the residential neighborhoods AWAY from the resort developments (like Nuevo Vallarta, The Marina, and Hotel Zone). It is an authentic and "normal Mexican" town if you choose to stay and spend your time in regular local areas.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Patty

Belize is a great suggestion, but in general airfare to Belize from CA is higher than to most parts of Mexico.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:53 PM
anon

They are all touristy. What you want to do is go to Oaxaca. Best Bet.
Ruins, history , colonial Architecture, good eats and reasonable prices then you can pop on down to Puerto Escondido on the coast.
Then again you can try Zihuatanejo or Barra de Navidad on the Costa Alegre.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Megan

I second the thought for Playa Del Carmen. Great beach, across from Cozumel, less touristy BY FAR than Cancun. When your in Cancun, you don't even know your in Mexico most of the time. It is that bad.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Nancy

I also agree with the other posters on Playa del Carmen or Akumal.
Very tropical with an incredibly gorgeous beach.
Lots of neat shops and very good restaurants.
The diving and snorkeling in the area is also fantastic.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 07:30 PM
terry

I am also from the bay area and have been to all the places you are considering, and I detest places that cater to the American tourist.
Do not, under any circumstance, go to Cancun. I likened it to the Wakiki of Mexico. PV has some great spots but also a large contingent of drunk college students. I absolutely loved Cozumel. Great beaches, few large hotels, Mayan ruins, real Mexican cultural dances and events in the town's plaza at night. The only bummer is when the cruise ships unload, but they all leave around 4, and stay right in town, easy for one to avoid them. Great snorkeling and it's the only place so far I have done some serious nude body surfing.
Terry

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:40 PM
anony

Isn't this a great board. There was a time when boards just pumped out the tourism version of travel and anyone who posted thier truth as they experience well it would be deleted.
You will find fodors is not like those other boards you connect to in mexico where anything negative is deleted.

Now I loved to hear the story of how that poor Fireman and his wife got beaten and stabbed by the Timeshare on the Beach in Cabo.
It is those stories that make us sit up and take stock of where we choose to go and how we handle ourselves on vacation.

That story was a hallmark in open honest sharing on the board.

Thank you all for sharing.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 04:52 AM
onon

anony - Don't you watchnews??? That ubiquitous Fireman story keeps being repeated over and over and over again here ad nauseum because someone here has an axe to grind with Cabo. I'm sure I could find a horror sotry to tell about any tourist destination in the world.

Anony, you really ought to read the paper more if the Fireman story is such an epiphany for you.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 01:42 PM
News Stories

The most recent news:

Well a government official trying to clean up the irregularities or corruption in the land dealings has been cited for selling land illegally,

Then there was the Pyramid Scam the Timeshare Female Closures ran on the naive Mexican Women. They were going to try to take in the Stripper next {used to abuse} then the paper reported and named them.

Then there is the disappearance of Lulu the realtor {I have heard stories like this one before} who ran off with over a million dollars of clients money. Oscar de la Hoya is on her been hosed list.

There is much jucier tales than this but I didn't want to be overly shocking.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Getlost

Peddle your inane BS elsewhere. I've got some News stories for you too.

A family with 2 small boys was driving in Italy when bandits shot into their car, killing their 8 year old son. Millions still go there, including the family of the boy. They still love Italy and haven't even let this horrific incident hamper their travel.

3 people were shot and killed in Times Square this morning.

3,000 innocent people were killed last year at the World Trade Center, Millions still visit NYC.

You are such an incredible jerk with your stupid horror stories. Don't be such a fear monger. If you are so afraid of travel then cower in your cave where you belong and leave the rest of us alone with your lame news stories.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:57 PM
babs

For those who have been to Playa del Carmen area, do you know of the Gran Porto Real Hotel and Spa? Looks good on web page, but they all do. Any first-hand info would be appreciated. TIA