Cancun - Ground Transportation To/From Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Cancun in April and would like suggestions as to the best way to get to/from the airport to my hotel (Crown Paradise). Do I make prior arrangements via the internet with a ground transportation company (if so, which one) or take a taxi??

This is my first time visiting Cancun and would appreciate any suggestions.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:48 AM

Really not necessary to make reservations. You can either buy a ticket in a shared van or take a taxi once you arrive.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:12 AM

We used Best Days last month to get to Puerto Juarez to get on the fairy to Isla Mujeres. The van went through the hotel zone and dropped several people off at various hotels. I think it was about $9.00 per person. It was sort of nice to have it prebooked, just look for your name being held up by one of the many drivers there. Easier than trying to negotiate fares with my minimal Spanish. There are also private transfers, but quite a bit more expensive.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 03:49 PM

Keep in mind taxis are not allowed to provide airport to HZ transport. You will need to get a ticket for a van $9 and it will leave when full, or contact Cancun Valet or similar service, about $65 round trip for more personalized service. You are on vacation so splurge!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 01:58 PM

The only real way to get to your hotel is the $9 shuttle. It may seem a little high for a shared van, but it's the going rate. Local regulations prevent taxis, which would be about the same price anyway. I've had some awkward moments at the end of the trip when I didn't shell out a big tip - aparently they owner(s) of the shuttle business don't pay the drivers much. I'd plan on giving a 10 peso or $ tip at the end to avoid the drivers from commenting on it as you walk away.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 07:48 AM

We walked across the street from the airport and took the bus. It was no big deal at all. You just come outside of the airport and you'll see a bus stop just across the street to your left on the corner. That's how those who work at the airport get back and forth. Usually you'll see airport workers getting on or off the bus. Considerably less expensive, more adventurous and it's what the locals do. The locals on the bus were always very nice to us and made sure that we got where we were going. The front of the buss will have a sign on it saying where the bus is going, but you can also ask the bus driver if the bus goes past your hotel/if you're traveling in the right direction. We rarely had to do that, though, because when we showed up at the bus stop, a nice local would ask us where we were going and would help us out in terms of bus routes (not that any help is really needed, though--the buses are *super* easy to figure out in Cancun and are well marked.