Notices

Can we do all this in 2 1/2 weeks?

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Terri

Can we do all this in 2 1/2 weeks?

Hi,
We'll be travelling to CR Nov. 12-29, so with travel time, we essentially have 16 full days in CR.

We are definitely staying 2 nights at Finca Rosa Blanca Inn in the Central Valley and then playing it by ear the remainder of the time.

We're hoping to hit these areas:
Central Valley, Domincal, Corcovado, Monteverde, Arenal Volcano, and the hot springs.

Is this overly ambitious or just about right?

Thanks for any insight,

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Terri

Let me add that we are renting a four-wheel drive and are planning to do all the driving ourselves!

Thanks,

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Joe

Terri - While I have not been to Corcovado yet (and I have been there three times now), I believe the amount of time you have to spend will allow you to go to all of those places. Keep in mind that the driving will have a tendancy to wear you out as result of less than great road surfaces, and sometimes un-nervingly slow "local" traffic. The road to Monteverde may be the most grueling ("washboard"/bumpy and unpaved), and from what I remember, you should plan on about 4 - 6 hours just to get there. It also depends on how active you will be, or if you are after a more relaxing approach to the "site seeing". If you allow "driving days", and then recovery time at each place - you should have a wonderful time. Not to throw too much of a wrench into your plans, but if I had that much time there, I would definitely try to fit in Tortugeuro as well - but I also I am not sure what I would give up in return... :~) With that stated, here is one person's opinion... Corcovado, including Manuel Antonio and Dominical (including driving there and back)~ 5 to 7 days; Monteverde ~ 3/4 days; Arenal, and hot springs ~ 2/3 days, and then your two days in the central valley. Have fun! Corcovado is one of the reasons I look forward to going back for visit no. 4...

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 04:23 PM
terri

Hi Joe,
Wow! You've been to CR four times...what a testament to the fact that it's an amazing country!

Was just wondering if you could tell me about Tortuguero a little bit. Have you been there before? What did you like most about it? I had not looked closely at going because of our timing -- I thought the best time to see nesting turtles was July - October.

Thanks for your insights on timing/driving. Altho we will do some hiking, biking, canopy tours, beachgoing,horseback riding, etc, we also want to feel unrushed and exploratory -- so I may need to cut the plan a little....especially if driving turns out to be a tad stressful...

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Joe

Hi Terri - Tortuguero for us was off the beaten path, so to speak, and it was great! We took a less traveled route in getting there, and the getting there part was half the fun. We did a round trip from San Jose in the following way... Picked up by van at our hotel, and transported to a little town called Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui. On the way, we drove through the Barurillo Carillo (sp?) National Park. From this liitle town, we travelled by boat down the Rio (river) Sarapiqui, to the Rio San Juan, along the Nicaraguan border. (Although the Rio San Juan(river) borders both countries, we actually entered Nicaragua passport control, as the Rio San Juan is considered Nicaraguan) After two hours, on the San Juan, back thru passport control to the Rio Colorado, and then on to Tortuquero. About five (5) hours on the various rivers in all. After two nights at the Mawamba Lodge, and one full day of "Tortequero" canal tours, we flew back to San Jose in the morning of the third day. Access to Tortuguero is only by boat or plane. You could turn your vehicle in early, or do this part first before renting your vehicle if you wanted to consider this trip. Hope this helps. You really get off of the tourist track, and see some incredible wildlfe...!

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 12:19 PM
terri

Joe,
Thanks for the info....getting to Tortuguero sounds like something out of a movie......We are now considering Tortuguero for the final days of our trip. Also your suggestion led us to some further research and we happened upon some info on Genesis II in the Talamanca Mountains.....both destinations sound like just the thing for us!!

Great suggestions!