Reload this Page >

can cell phones be used in Puerto Vallarta

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2006, 09:56 AM
MissVicki

can we uses any cell phones in PV? Also I know in Jamacia you can rent phones for a week that work everywhere the incoming calls are free and outgoing I think 30 cents do you know if PV has any of these? What about text mess.? Thanks

Old May 24th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YOu can check with your cell phone provider to see if you have international service, if so you can use your cell any where in the world that have cell phone reception.

I'm sure PV have cell phone reception.
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Cvechko

MissVicki,
Do not know about PV but here is our experience in Loreto, Mexico and Hopkins, Belize.

Loreto: We checked with Cingular. They said digital would NOT work but GSM would so I changed my phone to GSM, hubby kept digital. Digital DID work but we never did figure out how to get the GSM to work. Other people had other carriers & theirs did not work.

Belize: Digital - did not work; GSM - said Emergency Only. Never did figure out what that meant or how to use it.

There was an international phone in the lobby. Not sure how long my hubby was on the phone but the charge was $40 each time. The credit card company only allows 3 calls to be charged within so many hours.

On our last day there, hubby read in our Fodors Guide that he could have bought some kind of service to use with our phone while we were in the Belize City Airport.

So if you cannot live without your cell phone, try to check with your carrier and also get a Fodors Guide & check it out.

Old May 26th, 2006, 06:59 AM

No rentals, but you can buy a, prepaid card type, cell phone here for about $40US with time on it. Text messaging-yes.
Take it home with you and get a new SIM card.
Easy
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Last year I was in PV area. Before I left I called my cell phone carrier, Verizon, and had them temporarily add Mexico. They gave me an access # to use. It worked very well.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:29 AM

I have Sprint and didn't have any luck using it, I used a calling card purchased at a vending machine worked very well
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:48 AM

My cingular worked all over Mexico including Morelia, Uruapan, Patzcuaro, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Manzanillo & PV at 99 cents a minute so I used it very sparingly. I find that the little phone casitas are as little as 3 pesos (about 27 cents) a minute. The only caveat is be sure to time your calls as "mistakes" can happen.