Camino Real in Puerto Vallarta & Its Change to "Dreams" All-Inclusive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm quite surprised to read about the new ownership and focus of the Camino Real in PV. I had planned to take our first visit there in early March'05, but now I'm worried that the character of the property will be changed significantly. Please let me know if you have any insights into the "Dreams" company,and also how AI influences the atmosphere of a resort. I worry that there will be guests who,shall I say, "over-imbibe" the free alcohol. I want a calm, refined resort,although I have no problem with sharing it with families with young children.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Curious to hear responses to this. The Camino Real in Cancun is now under the same ownership--Dreams Cancun--and I am really upset about the situation. I've been to Camino Real Cancun uncountable times over the past 18 years. It was my "home away from home", but now realize that because it has become all-inclusive, I most likely will never return there again. I guess all good things must come to an end sometime. Hoping to hear some good comments about this company. American Airlines has dropped the property from its vacation package, which is another detriment. The Camino Real in Cancun has great restaurants and hopefully this will not change. The rooms were to be upgraded, but at this point, who knows it that will ever happen.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 06:31 PM

Hi Martha and Helen,
I've been a regular at the Camino Real, Puerto Vallarta and have stayed there every six months for years. I was quite upset when I learned that it was being sold and would be all inclusive. When I was there in May I went to check out the Presidente Intercontinental which is about 2 miles further south. I liked what I saw. The Presidente has just been renovated and the rooms and facilities were very nice. The staff was very professional and were quite happy to give me a tour of the premises. Based on my positive opinion a colleague at work and her husband stayed at the Presidente for a week in June and they loved it. None of us are partiers so the sedate, relaxing atmosphere is just what we're looking for in a resort. I am now booked to stay there in October. They do have a no children under 15 years old rule so please be aware of that in case you have children traveling with you. The Camino Real was the best but it's gone now so I'm hoping that the Presidente will be a good replacement. Like you Helena, I always booked through American Airlines Vacations and the Presidente is on their list which is a big plus. Good luck. John
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Just an Fyi the Presidente is much further than the Camino Real from town!!! I too loved the Camino Real but no one will really know unless they try it. I personally do not like all inclusives. So I will go to The Sheraton which also is in there w/my favorites.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:09 AM

Hi Butsy,
You were so helpful to me with all your restaurant reccomendations etc.
We have already booked again for the end of Feb first of March. We cant wait to go
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 08:03 AM

My wife and I are thinking about staying at Dreams in PV. I researched and it appears that Dreams (AM Resorts) is owned by Apple Vacations. They both have the exact address. I have traveled Apple numerous times in the past and would believe that this resort will be a good experience regardless of the all-inclusive tag. They intend to build a new adults only pool, a new restaurant and a night club.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

GaryG....what a good researcher you are! I feel better knowing that Dreams is affiliated or owned by Apple. I'm not happy with the idea of AI,but I really have my heart set on staying at that property, mainly because of the beautiful,private beach and the proximity to the center of town. Please keep us updated on anything else you learn about Dreams. I am hoping to go there in early March.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 11:13 AM

Troubling news.

Not so much the ownership change, but the shift to all AI.

I recently heard that Velas Vallarta is going all AI too.

That's a real shame because Puerto Vallarta is one of those towns where only total idiots would book AI. There are just *SO* many good restaurants in the city that it would be utterly stupid to confine yourself to one, often inadequate, hotel restaurant.

I think most folks going to Puerto Vallarta are going to find that if they end up stuck with an AI plan, they're going to be double-paying for meals.

PVR is the kind of place where you'll *probably* want to be on the go a lot -- heading out to places like El Eden, maybe out to Punta Mita, maybe out to the more remote beaches like Yelapa. I doubt that *anyone* really just wants to sit in a Marina district hotel for their whole vacation, eating the mediocre buffet lunches at most AI properties. Even if the food turns out to be decent, who wants to eat in the same place 3 meals a day for a whole week? Sounds to me like the making of "Supersize Me 2"...

Have fun (don't go AI)!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 06:36 AM

Hi lvitaly glad you are going back. Didn't you buy a time share at the Sheraton? I am going back too in March probably around the 14th, We are planning to go to San Pancho for 3 nights then to the Sheraton for a week. If you need any more recommendations for restaurants please email me at [email protected]. Nice to hear from you
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:34 AM

Here is another positive look at the All-inclusive with Dreams. We used to stay at the Marriot Casa Magna (great hotel). In seven days, I usually racked up around $700 with buying breakfast, lunch and drinks by the end of the stay. Dreams is about $380 more than Marriott for the seven day stay that I am thinking about. I will still go out on the town every night in PV for dinner and will save $320 in the process.