cabo san lucas vs san jose los cabo and more

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I apologize now for having some random and basic questions, but I am just starting my research on cabo.

My husband always had an image in his head of resorts in Cabo being up high on a rocky hill, but many of the all inclusive resorts we are looking at are on the beach. Are there resorts on the rocks? If so, are they just the really expensive ones?

Also, we were looking at a resort in san jose los cabos. How does this area compare to stayin in Los Cabos?

Thanks for your help
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 10:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Disclaimer I have never been myself - but my impression is that Cabo San Lucas is where most of the high-end resorts are located and San Jose del Cabo is the original Mexican town also with some places to stay... and that the two together are called Los Cabos.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 11:29 AM

San Jose los Cabo is much more Mexican than Cabo proper. Cabo proper is very Americanized with tons of US fast food restaurants, All pricing in US dollars (and expensive) & cabs etc expensive. It's a lovely setting that has become a victim of it's own beauty with over building.
San Jose has sufferer some in this manner but not to the extent of the other.
Nothing wrong with either IF that's what you want.
For a more Mexican escape I might suggest The East Cape or La Paz.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 07:47 AM

Stewbear, You know I love La Paz
but it's not really an all-inclusive-resorts-on-the beach kind of town.

Old Dec 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM

You are correct Suze, however there are several on The East Cape. Unfortunately they are booked marked on my other Computer.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM

"My husband always had an image in his head of resorts in Cabo being up high on a rocky hill ... Are there resorts on the rocks?"

Finisterra is probably the one he is thinking about ... http://www.finisterra.com/htdocs/index.html ... we've stayed there many times because it's isolated on the Pacific side but close to the docks we used for boarding our fishing boat. It's not as expensive as many of the newer hotels, but not cheap.

There's also a great luxury area called Pedregal that is even higher than Finisterra, but it's mostly high end villa rentals. This is where the rock stars have their hide-aways ... http://www.pedregal.com/

"Also, we were looking at a resort in san jose los cabos. How does this area compare to stayin in Los Cabos?"

I've stayed in San Jose a couple of times ... basically the beach is mediocre, there is little nightlife, no marina and the hotels are not as nice. The San Jose hotels are more like Super 8 or Motel 6 or Best Western chains, the Cabo and corridor hotels more like Sheraton, Hilton, etc ... nicer but more expensive.

If you just want something cheap I'd stay in downtown Cabo at the Mar de Cortez before staying in San Jose. This is an excellent bargain hotel but not on the beach ... http://www.mardecortez.com/

Old Dec 21st, 2008, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

thanks all for your insight
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM

Bill_H, NICE hotel (Mar de Cortez)!! Thank you. I thought there was noting in Cabo for me, but looks like there is!

Is there a public beach anywhere nearby the downtown area (that hotel) that you can bus or walk to?
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:46 PM

So Suze, have you taken up marlin fishing or golf? Hard to imagine you on the loose in Cabo

<b>Is there a public beach anywhere nearby the downtown area (that hotel) that you can bus or walk to?</b>

You can catch a bus heading east, which runs past the beaches. The hotel staff can suggest some beaches but the one I'd suggest most strongly is Chileno beach, which has a beautiful snorkeling reef close to shore, and a bus stop nearby. http://www.loscabosguide.com/beaches/chilenobeach.htm

The other option is to walk from the hotel about 1/4 mile to the marina and catch a water taxi. Here's the map of the hotel area ... http://www.mardecortez.com/map.html ... on the map you can see Playa Medano just to the left of the marina entrance. This is the popular, crowded 'swimming beach' with several large hotels and the water taxi can drop you off here. You can taxi or water taxi or walk back.

On the bottom right of the map is an arrow pointing to Lover's Beach and the famous Arch ... the water taxi can take you there and pick you up. This is a cool spot, with the big surf of the Pacific on one side and calm waters of the Cortez on the other side. Here's 2 links describing Lover's Beach --
http://www.loscabosguide.com/beaches/lovers.htm
http://www.cabosanlucasbeaches.com/loversbeach.htm

Here's a link to the water taxis ... http://www.caboexpo.com/watertaxis.htm ... the Mar de Cortez staff can tell you where to find these.

I would for sure try Lover's Beach and Chileno Beach ...

For the original poster, from this same map notice the &quot;Pacific Ocean&quot; logo at the bottom ... directly between the &quot;c&quot; and the &quot;O&quot; letters you see two buildings, this is the Finisterra, the hotel on top of the ridge. To the left is the Pedregal area, with the beautiful villas. If you have several people traveling together renting a villa makes sense $$-wise and some of these are spectacular.

Bill
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:08 AM

Thanks Bill, you are always so helpful.

If there's warm weather, lots of sunshine, a nice pool, cocktails, and Mexican people... I can manage a fine time many places!!
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Hello Lutherkins:

San Jose is part of &quot;Los Cabos&quot;, so you know, depending on what kind of money you are willing to pay for a hotel, I must say you should start your research..high end hotels like Palmilla, Ventanas, Marquis, Hilton and some boutique hotels like Cabo Surf are in San Jose del Cabo (on the corridor), hotels like Royal Solaris, Presidente,Cabo Azul, Grand Mayan etc are oceanfront and also in San Jose...Cabo San Lucas has the Riu and the Sunset beach, etc...hopefully this helps you a little...