Search

Cabo or PV?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabo or PV?

I have airline miles to use before they expire, we are two adults in our 40's looking for sun/relaxation along with some sights to see.
I have looked at both places and can not decide which is the "better" of the two. Hotel wise in Cabo I was looking at the Marquis, in PV I was looking at the Grand Velas inclusive.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Cabo is better for hard partying, fishing and golf, probably other water sports like diving. Vallarta is better for many other things like better restaurants, more relaxed pace downtown, more 'authentic' feel even though it's very touristy too.

Most people in their "40's looking for sun/relaxation" asking this Q are probably better off at Vallarta.

Bill
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Bill,
I appreciate your feedback, I am inclined to agree PV will be a better fit. Any feedback on Grand Vella? Is it worth the $$'s?
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cabo sits at the tip of a desert peninsula and has barren, rugged, dramatic landscape. It is a tourist driven place and the more expensive of the two locations.

Puerto Vallarta sits within the Bay of Banderas and has lush jungles and hills surrounding the town. It is both a tourist destination as well as a Mexican city with a nice atmosphere. It has a wider range of prices for hotels and restaurants.

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:25 PM

<b>Any feedback on Grand Vella? Is it worth the $$'s?</b>

Sorry, haven't stayed there ...
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Just my two cents worth. I have been to both and they are both great places to vacation. I will say that we go to Cabo to relax. We rarely party in town and I think there are a lot of great places to eat in Cabo also, expensive and inexpensive. Cabo in general is more expensive.

Check out the Grand Velas on tripadvisor.com and you should hopefully find many reviews from people who have stayed there.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM

If snorkeling is at all important to you than Cabo is better. The water there is very clear and the snorkeling good.

PV and most of the Pacific coast of Mexico has poor snorkeling.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM

You say golf in Cabo? We're going end of February and checked out the prices. Wow! Are there any reasonable golf courses?
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 03:19 PM

<b>You say golf in Cabo? We're going end of February and checked out the prices. Wow! Are there any reasonable golf courses?</b>

Only if you limit the round to holes 2 - 17 (and don't get caught sneaking on/off)

Seriously, I thought there was one relatively cheap (*relatively* the key word) course, and some of the high end properties in the corridor have package deals where you stay with them and play their course (or the course they are partnered with) at reasonable rates.

Dunno for sure, I was always fishin'

Bill
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 12:56 PM

I've been to both and like PV better.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:07 PM

I have stayed at the Marquis, and we really loved it, beautiful rooms; a really relaxing resort. Overall, just perfect for a romantic getaway. But I like PV overall better than Cabo; however the Grand Velas is in Nuevo Vallarta, not downtown, which is the area with all the charm.
Sounds to me like you can't lose with either choice.