Notices

Cabo/PV/Mazatlan

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 04:33 PM
jlz
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabo/PV/Mazatlan

I am wanting to vacation in Mexico in late April for 10 days, and are having a hard time deciding on which destination to choose. I have been to Cabo a few years ago and really enjoyed it, and would definitely go back, but have never been to PV or Mazatlan. We are in our 30's and enjoy the night life as well as excursions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 05:41 PM
TahitiTams

Hi..
Been to all 3 and I would do PV or Cabo but I cannot stand Mazatlan.
I found the ocean water dirty and hot and not impressed at all with the town or resorts.
Cabo and PV have great night life..if you go to Cabo, do go to Todos Santos for the day.
Just my two cents..

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 07:32 PM

another vote for Puerto Vallarta, with the disclaimer I haven't been the other 2 places. but been to PV 15+ times.

on the Baja, I second the recommendation of going to Todos Santos & will add La Paz - which lives up to the name of 'Peace'.

The Baja is a desert; PV is on a bay with mountains and lush jungle surrounding it.

Haven't been to Mazatlan, but a dear friend who spent many vacations there, once he went to PV, never returned.

for what it's worth! everyone finds their own place.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:26 PM

What is Todos Santos?

I haven't been to any of the 3. Yet. (I'm going in March). But isn't Mazatlan a very large city while the others are smaller and maybe therefore more quaint or charming?

Sue
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 03:48 AM

I have never been to Mazatlan, but haven't heard rave reviews. Have been to Cabo and PV, enjoyed both of them. We are not night life people, but have heard that Cabo is a great place for night life, not sure about PV. You might have more variety in excursion choices in PV. And I thought the people in PV were more welcoming.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:40 AM

Todos Santos is a small town along the coast up from Cabo on the Baja, known for being an artist community, with good cafes and beaches.

Puerto Vallarta has the friendliest local people of any place I have ever visited!! It is smaller than Mazatlan certainly, but still a normal working city (pop ~250,000) along with the all the tourist ammenities. They co-exist happily side-by-side.

Cabo was developed for tourists.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:42 AM

Oh yes, and Puerto Vallarta has excellent night life. I would stay somewhere right in El Centro or the Old Town in order to be walking distance to it, rather than having to taxi around at night.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM

I have never been to PV so I cannot comment on that. So choosing from the other 2 I would definately go with Cabo. I really didn't like the way Mazatlan was set up, the locals didn't seem as friendly as they were in Cabo, and the nightlife was dull. And yes I do agree, if you do Cabo, make sure you venture out to Todos Santos. I highly reccomend Shut Up Franks. It's just a small little bar that serves the best shrimp tacos I have ever had. Also, try and check out San Pedrito, which is only about a 10 minute drive from Todos for a day of sunbathing. This is if they haven't bulldozed the place over and started to put up big trashy hotels.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Oh yes! Once again, if you do end up doing Cabo, and then make it over to Todos Santos, on your way there you will come across this great little place called Art and Beer. We sat upstairs on the roof, watching the sunset with whales jumping in the horizon, drinking pina colodas (not yet matched) in half pinapples, eating fresh oysters. They also gave us free-beer-to-go....not sure if they did this for everyone.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:21 AM

Although I don't know if Mazatlan is the right choice for you (I don't feel their nightlife is that great and depending on what you like for excursions, Mazatlan's are pretty low key), I still had to put it my two cents that I like it there. The water is not great, but the town and resort area is fun--really feels like Mexico (not as touristy as other vacation destinations in Mexico). I have relatives who go every year and will only go to Mazatlan.

Have fun whatever you decide
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:32 AM

We've been to Mazatlan three times, Vallarta four times, Cabo probably a dozen times ... based on what you're looking for I'd say Vallarta would be your best bet, Cabo second, Mazatlan third choice.

Bill
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:43 AM

Mazatlan is the most Mexican of them. It is not as built up with massive resorts and is much quieter. The beaches south of the city on Isla de Piedra are mostly deserted with a few quaint restaurants and are nice for swimming and horse back riding. If you are looking for other Americans to party with go to Cabo or PV.