Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Cabo area-Best hotel to see whales from your room?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone suggest the best hotel in the Cabo area, where you can see whales from the hotel? We are thinking of going there in mid Feb. and would like to be able to view the whales directly from the hotel. Thanks.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:55 PM

We own a condo at Misiones del Cabo and see them from our unit but they are aways out and you need binos to see much. They probably don't get much closer to any other hotel as Misiones is right on a point.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:02 PM

Now that I think about it, the bar at the Hotel Finisterra:

http://www.finisterra.com/htdocs/roomsandragtes.htm

is probably the best known place to watch whales. Some of the rooms there may offer even better views. I would contact them and tell them what you want. The downside of the Finisterra is you can't swim on the beach there.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Probably won't see much from shore, just spray and maybe flukes when they sound.

Finisterra is a good choice closest to Cabo, get a room in the newer sections (Pacific side) high up, I think there are seven floors so ask for a high floor when you book. These also have outside patios in each room overlooking the pool and sea so you can watch from the patio.

Westin would be another good choice because it's high, but I think the rooms in the main unit didn't have patios.

But I wouldn't expect to see much whale activity from shore ... go out on a boat and you'll do much better. We were fishing once near San Jose (Gordo Banks) when a whale breached (rose clear of the water) near our small boat, with a splash like a school bus being dropped into the water. Pretty exciting. There are plenty of whale watching tours available in Feb.

Bill
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Check out the Sunset Beach on the Pacific side. The hotel is built up the side of the mountain with outstanding views. We actually like to stay at the Pacifica next door which, if you get a suite on the top (5th) floor, also has great views, just not as high as the Sunset. Last winter guests at the Pacifica said they saw whales come very close to the beach. I suggest you check these places out on tripadvisor.com.