Melia Los Cabos All Suites

Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:32 PM
amber

Melia Los Cabos All Suites

Hi there, Been to Cabo a gazillion times however, I have not yet satyed at this Melia Resort. Does anyone have any reviews or helpful room upgrade tips? Thanks! Also, how hot is it really at the end of Jan/early Feb? Thanks a bunch!

Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:57 PM
review

This is the newest of Melia's three Los Cabos hotels. This one is defined by all-suite accommodations and a time-share emphasis (50 percent of the hotel). Situated along a fine stretch of beach, this four-story U-shape is built in a Spanish-Mediterranean formula, with columned arches supporting red tile roofs. The hotel's centerpiece is a vast lagoon-style pool with a waterfall, swim-up bar, and horizon edge. Next to the pool, the loggia restaurant also offers oceanfront patio dining under parasols. Two artificial grass tennis courts light up for night play. A grassy soccer field lies on the beach, where seven palm-thatch palapas provide shade. A modest gym is on the premises, and two 18-hole golf courses lie nearby. The larger of the two meeting rooms can handle groups of 220. Accommodations range from small studios (glorified hotel rooms) to opulent corner suites. The common denominators are kitchenettes, minibars, phones, air conditioning, safes, TVs, and combination baths. Living areas open to furnished balconies with ocean views. Wrought-iron bedsteads, bright flowery fabrics, marble-topped coffee tables, ceramic vases, and glass-topped dining tables underscore austere bare tiled floors. Staff is friendly but not particularly observant, and the time-share aspect compromises the deluxe hotel feel. The Melia San Lucas offers more convenience and value for the rates, while the Melia Cabo Real offers more in the way of public facilities. Still, this one is the newest, with everything still looking fresh from the wrapper.

Jan 3rd, 2003, 08:00 AM
M

Amber,
I am interested in your experiences in Cabo. Am considering traveling there in Early February- alone. Have you traveled there alone as a single american woman? Do you recommend the area as safe for female travleres?

Jan 16th, 2003, 02:03 PM
amber

Please feel free to email me at the above address and I will let you know everything I know!

Jan 20th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Elaine

We have a timeshare there and go every May. It's really lovely. It's a little far out, but we've found the buses to be really frequent and easy to use. Don't know about room upgrades, but the staff have always been friendly and helpful. Our favorite restaurants are Mocambo's, Pancho's, and The Office. Do you have any favorites? Also, have you taken/driven on any day trips away from Cabo? (Like to Todos Santos)?
Oh yes, thru RCI the Melia is called the Club Casa Dorada Beach & Golf Resort. Do a search and I believe you'll find their website. Hope this helps. eb

Jan 21st, 2003, 08:59 AM
robert

Amber: What do you know about the new MARQUIS hotel that opens in Feb? Anything?/

Thanks

Jan 21st, 2003, 11:47 AM
amber

Hi there everyone! Thanks for all the tips. I actually already check out the RCI website (Totally by accident!) but found it to be even more informative and elaborate than the Melia website. Some of my favorite eateries are the upscale DaGorgios at the Missiones Del Cabo just outside of town, I also love the office, Billigans, ect right on the beach for those late afternoon lunches. There is a little resturant at the Finnesterra called the Whale Watchers? Something like that, this place has the best Fish Tacos! Oh and Ole Ole down the way from Margaritaville on the Marina is wonderful! the sefice , the setting, the view, AND THE FOOD!! Yummy! Our favorite spots are usually the little places we just stop into on own. Experiment with food! Fresh Lobster is and Dorado are our favs! I dont know anything about the Marquis? However, I will say this, visiting a brand new resort has its pluses, usually clean, not tooo crowded, everything is so pretty. However, its usually noisy (Still construction going on the property )especially in the AM's! The service and food hasnt been perfected, ect. I would reccommend staying in town at the Pueblo Bonito Rose or the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach in town to get the full Cabo expierence and still be in walking distance to everything. These Resorts are bueatiful, close and the service is impeccable! Sunset Beach is about a year or so old now so its in its PRIME! Any other questions? Feel free to ask!
Oh, day trip! ATVing and A snorkel day trip on the Jungle Cruise is a must. Golfing is great and the ride to Cabo Pluma on the East Cape is breathtaking! Rent a scooter for the day and just explore the coves and deserted beaches! Santa Maria Bay and Chileno Bay are great for snorkeling! Have fun!

Jan 21st, 2003, 02:39 PM
Elaine

Amber, Did you do the ATV to the sand dunes/lighthouse (we've done that 3 times) or somwhere else? Thanks for the info re restaurants and the excursions! I agree, it's better to stay near town so you can walk to where you want to go. But we do love the Melia Los Cabos. Thanks, eb

Jan 21st, 2003, 04:16 PM
Capt.Mike

The ATV's are emdamgering a nearly extinct species, Mexico' Turtles. The females come up onto the beach at night to lay their eggs, which they bury under the sand to incubate till they hatch. Just what they don't need is a bunch of ignorant yahoos tearing up their biological habitat and pushing them into extinction faster than the poachers are.

Yeah that is right dummies the ATV's smash up the eggs, as well as polluting the enviroment and being a traffic hazaard.

By the way that post describing the Melia reads like it was a copy and paste from some travel agents brochure. I don't buy it. Real People don't post like that shills and timeshare hawkers post like that. That's my opinion.