Butterfly migration - anyone have info?

Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Butterfly migration - anyone have info?

I'm interested in going to see the butterfly migration in central Mexico in January/February. I'm having a lot of trouble finding any info. Anyone out there have any info on seeing them? I'd rather do it on our own, but if there is a good tour out there, I'd consider it. The only one I found was with Nat Hab, but it's out of my budget and isn't quite was I was looking for.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Asa anti-tour guy I must say this is one trip I would use a guide. I would contact Eugenio Cortes at http://www.baden-powell.com/index.php. He rents apartments & has a language school in Morelia the jumping off point for the monarchs. He is not a tour guide But he can give you great Info about Hotels near the site plus guides. He is a great guy & a straight shooter so trust his info.
PS Morelia is a fabulous sophisticated city so plan at least a couple of days there.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stewbear. I would use a guide there, too.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 11:53 AM

I just happened to find this forum as I was searching butterfly migrations in Panama. There is one just beginning right now in the central highlands of Panama..Chiriqui. I am going with an expert tomorrow to see what type they are, but there are thousands...really pretty!
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 06:13 PM

Butterfly migrations in Panama? Tell more after tomorrow please! We've been to the sanctuaries in Mexico. Love the Chiriqui area of Panama, but had no idea there was any kind of butterfly migration site there ...
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 12:47 PM

Bookmarking.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM

When we were in Morelia, we used the guide from mexmich.com - they were really great! It was worth the roughly $60 to be picked up from our hotel, driven the 4 hours each way, and guided up and back. If you click my name, you'll see pictures from my trip report last winter. It was really magical.
I don't know of any butterfly migration in Panama, but it sounds great!
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 08:49 AM

Best to go on a tour the first time unless you have transportation. MMG Tours out of the tourist kiosk in the main plaza of Morelia has info and tours for about 40-50 USD. Full day transport and lunch. Between October and March is a good target.
Morelia is a great colonial city, you will want a few days there.
See Morelia Monarch Migration on the web for info.
The mountains can be cold. The Monarchs converge in the high mountain preserves, cold and rain possible.
We went to Morelia via Primera Plus bus out of Mazatlan. Stopped for a few days on our way to Mexico City.
Ty
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 09:04 AM

El Rosario is on of the sanctuaries, about 60 miles from Morelia. These butterfly migration areas are at altitude, up to 10,000 feet, so a day or two of adjusting to altitude in Morelia is a good option if you live at sea level.
Visit from November to February if possible to be sure that large numbers of Monarchs are present.
Ty