Search

Oaxaca Local Tour Guides

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oaxaca Local Tour Guides

I will be in Oaxaca, the city, at the end of March for about 10 days. Looking for a knowledgable local tour guide who has a fair grasp of English for afternoon or weekend tour of weavers and other fibre artists. I will be in language study weekday mornings.
Thanks
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:01 AM

You will be better off asking your language teacher in Oaxaca to recommend someone.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 10:23 AM

We used a wonderful guide (for hiking and birding as well as visiting the craft villages) who spoke English quite well. His name is Roque Antonio Santiago, and while he advertises as both an eco-tour/birding guide and crafts guide, he knows the craft villages very well and will tailor the day to your wishes. He happens to live in Teotitlán del Valle which is the major weaver's village. He knows everyone (but doesn't try to influence your purchasing decision!) He was very patient with us as we searched for the perfect rug. We also visited the pottery village and the wood-carver's village with him.

http://www.mexonline.com/ecotours.htm

We used him a few years ago and then subsequently, my sister used him for several days when she visited Oaxaca last year.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:01 PM

When I was there in July we used a Danish woman who's lived in Oaxaca for 20 years (married a local) and she was great. We got her name out of the moon handbook (it escapes me at the moment, but I think it might have been Karin) and she drove us to several craft towns. She knew many people who welcomed us into their homes/shops and it was really interesting.
Her husband is also a tour guide. Both will guide you in Spanish if you're in language school. (Our guide did half-and-half because my Spanish is only advanced beginner.)
We found the moon guide to be very useful in general, FYI.
Have a great time!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Wm

Smiling Mary,

We were two weeks in Oaxaca this time last year. The highlight of our trip was the tours we did with Suzanne and Bonito of Discover Oaxaca Tours. You can contact them through their website: http://www.discover-oaxaca.com/about.htm#
Suzanne and Bonito are a wonderful young couple who are willing to tailor a tour to your special interests. Going up to the cloud forest (10,000 feet above sea level!) with Bonito who is native to the area was a special treat--we are so glad we included this in our itinerary as it gave us a perspective of the way people have been living in the mountains for hundreds of years. It was also wonderful to get out of the busy city and enjoy the beauty and serenity of this region. Bonito speaks very good English; Suzanne is from Canada so no problem with English with her. Suzanne took us to see a group of women doing backstrap weaving as well as to the family of Isaak Vasquez Garcia, a rug weaver who has reintroduced the art of using only natural dies. His business is called "The Bug in the Rug." ;-) We have fond memories of Suzanne and Bonito and have thought of them often as we read of the problems Oaxaca has been having.