Bus travel from Mexico City Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to have a long layover in Mexico City on our way to Huatulco. Does anyone know if there is bus transportation around Mexico City from the airport - or a relatively inexpensive way for 6 people to get around a little and see Mexico City?

Thanks - Ed
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:53 AM

I've never done it, but the subway is supposed to be easy to use from the airport. But traveling in a group of 6 is never easy!
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Pausanias

You don't say how long you have, but if it is three or four hours free, you might take an official airport taxi to the Zocalo. In addition to the colorful streetlife, you can visit the Cathedral, the National Palace with its great Rivera mural and the Templo Mayor and its museum.

You could have a meal at the Majestic Terrace restaurant (great view, ok food), or the Cafe de Tacuba, or the Hosteria de Santo Domingo. Have the restaurant call you a taxi to get back to the airport.

That's one plan and I think you'd enjoy it.

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, Marilyn and Pausanius. We have 4 hours and the suggestions you offered should help us a great deal. I don't know if we can take the subway to the Zocalo, but that is definitely where we want to head for.
Thanks again!
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Pausanias

I've never taken the subway from the airport. There is a stop called "Terminal Aerea." The route to the Zocalo looks a little convoluted. I'm surprised no one here has chimed in. You might want to post the question over on Lonely Planet's Thorntree -- or just search, it's probably been asked before.

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 03:07 PM

I have taken the subway in Mexico City many times -- the airport stop is to at the leftmost (sorry, I don't know if its East or West) side of the airport. You will need to switch to get to the Zocalo, or you may be able to get within a few blocks and then walk. Its very cheap, safe, quick and reliable.

Michael
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Four hours is not enough time to leave the airport period. 45 minutes to get through customs and immigration and down to the metro stop and the far end of the national terminal. 45 minutes to the Zocalo, 45 minutes back- you need to be back 90 minutes before your next flight. Sometimes the security lines are really long. You don't have time to go downtown- sorry.