Search

Bus to Buzios?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bus to Buzios?

I'll be staying in Rio and Buzios in late February, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from Rio to Buzios.

I've researched my options; the private taxi for a round-trip price of $135 is too expensive. I'm considering taking the shared van for $35 round-trip, but since the van makes stops at several hotels for pick-ups, the company determines the pick-up time. I'm concerned that this process will take too much time. Has anyone used this mode of transport to Buzios?

I know that there's a bus that will take me there for $7, but I'm concerned about looking for a bus stop in an area where I don't know my surroundings, with all my luggage -- in both Rio and Buzios. Does anyone recommend taking the bus?

Thanks,
Olivia
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Once I took the shared van back from Buzios, it was fine, it made a few stops in Buzios then the airport in Rio then it hit copacabana, no problem. The $7.00 bus you get from the Rodoviario, I have never taken it but it will be a longer ride then your smaller bus ride plus it won't take you straight to your hotel in buzios you will have to pick up a cab from there. $135 round trip for a taxi? Let me tell you that is cheap, tell me who this is I want to use him. The taxi is a nice way to go, just sit back, door to door service, stop for drinks and if he is quick and they all are you can make it to your hotel in less than 2 hours from Copacabana less from the airport.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

The Pousada Hibiscus gave me the price quote for private transportation when I booked a room there.

I found information about the actual taxi and bus companies that go to Buzios on the Frommers.com web-site. Here's a link:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...846010002.html

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Dondiega, one more question. I understand that with the shared van, you can't choose the van pick-up time. I'm concerned about that. I want to leave for Buzios in the morning of 3/3 and return to Rio on the evening of 3/5. If I can't choose time of day, do they at least allow you to choose the part of day -- morning, afternoon, evening?

Thanks,
Olivia
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:21 AM

Olivia, I remember when I went to the front desk clerk of my hotel and asked for the van, she pulled out a schedule and called the van service, there seem to be several vans leaving at different times throughout the day. Make your reservations early so that you get a place on the van that you want.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Olivia, I have just returned from Buzios, and had the same dillema as you.

My plan was to arrive to Buzios in the morning, stay for three days, and leave in the evening. But, most regular van services depart to Rio right after lunch (this is probably because the hotel check out time is noon). The private transfer service by taxi is very expensive, and not applicable to me.

My decision was to join a tour. Lots of tour agencies in Rio offer a one day tour in Buzios. You can join one of these tours just for the transfer. I did that for 50 reals one way. They picked me up from my hotel in Rio and dropped me at the pousada in Buzios. It is not the cheapest option, but is very convenient.

Basically, this tour operates on a daily basis, but it is not guaranteed. When I wanted to join the tour on my way back, I was told that the tour was cancelled because of the bad weather in Rio, so I had to seek other options while in Buzios.

I asked for help in one of the many car/buggy rentals in Buzios. They told me that the regular van service departs at noon, and they offered me to take the public bus. Since I was a bit concrened about the safety (I had lots of luggage with me), they convinced me that I had nothing to worry about. So I walked to the bus station and bought the tickets for 18 reals one way per person.

I can assure you that the public bus is completely safe and comfortable. The bus is modern, with plenty of space for the luggage. They even give you identification cards for the luggage, so no one can leave the bus with your luggage. The bus ride took 3 hours to the central bus station in Rio, with one 15-minutes break in the middle. There were no stops along the route, except some stops in Buzios, and one stop in Niteroi just before Rio. You should not be worried about finding the bus stop in Buzios. The station in Buzios is very small. A taxi will get you there for 10 reals. The most important thing is to buy the bus ticket one day in advance, so you will not get stuck in Buzios.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Hey Adama,

Thanks for the advice. You mention that the bus is safe and clean, and that the bus stop is easy to find in Buzios, but what about the bus station in Rio? How did you feel when you arrived there?

--Olivia--
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Now that I've been to Buzios and back, I can comment first-hand on the $35 round-trip van. I give it two thumbs down.

The day of our pick-up from Marina Palace Hotel in Leblon, our driver arrived an hour late, and he wasn't done with his drop-offs. So, we had to wade through traffic to drop-off a couple in Copacabana, and then we had a pick-up at the airport. With the traffic, drop-offs and pick-ups, we didn't get to Buzios until 6:00...we left Leblon at 1:30...

The deal with the van is that they decide the time of your pick-up. Our pick-up time on our last day in Buzios was 8:30 am, which is far earlier than we had hoped for. But with no traffic, and no pick-ups and drop-offs that were out of the way, we were back in Rio by 11:30 am. Although, I would've preferred to enjoy a full day in Buzios and arrive back in Rio much later.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 09:24 AM

Thanks Oma, that's why I always take a taxi because my time is precious there and I don't want to spend it waiting or picking up others, you almost wasted 2 good days just for saving $100, I don't think its worth it, sounds very foolish.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 12:33 PM

We are considering going to Buzios for 5 days. But...wonder if it is too much like European/International beach resorts. We want something with Brazilian character. Will stay in beach resort north of Salvador on first part of our trip. If you have stayed in Buzios, please, let me know your impressions. If you know of super/special place to stay at a beach, share the info. Since we will have kids with us, we want a pool as well as the beach.