Buenos Aires

Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buenos Aires

Hi
I'm going with my husband to Buenos Aires in the beginning of March and have been researching apartments to rent and areas to rent in. After reading various messages we have decided that Palermo Soho probably would suit us best. It's a bit hard to determine where this actually is as all rental websites either don't specify exactly where in Palermo the apartment is or the map is not big enough to give a complete picture of location. Could anyone give me an idea of streets bordering and where the centre of this area is so I know where to focus on?
Also could anyone give me an the same idea for Recoleta in case I can't find anything suitable vacant in Palermo Soho?
Thanks heaps
Eva
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:57 PM

Cant help with the names of teh street but I found this interactive map helpful. Just put in the address or street etc and it will locate it for you
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - there is no link.....

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Having gone through the websites ...
which of the below is the better address Nicaragua/Thames or Charcas/Bulnes? I guess I mean better as in more central in the Soho district which I assume is close to restaurants, bars etc night time activities, though not so close you can hear it from your bedroom. Also would be good if there is a gym nearby.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 02:53 AM

Ooops!!

http://mapa.buenosaires.gov.ar/sig/index.phtml
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 04:07 AM

Nicaragua/Thames is close to where we were staying last month. We were at the Miravida Soho hotel which I would happily stay at again.

We really liked it's location close to the restaurants and shops and in a pretty and reasonably quiet residential area. Still a fair bit of traffic noise but I think that's par for the course in BA.

I think another recent traveller mentioned something about staying in an apartment offered by the same people; there's nothing about it on the hotel website but you could email and ask. I think it's fairly close to the hotel too.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 05:37 AM

http://mappery.com/map-name/Buenos-Aires-Street-Map

On this map, you just click on the section of town that you want to see in detail. It is helpful but you need to buy a real map.

Buenos Aires is huge, full of barrios (neighborhoods) each with its own flavor. Some are higher rent, some are more funky and some you don't want to stay in..
Palermo is a huge barrio broken up into neighborhoods .. Botanico is beautiful and where the Botanical Gardens are, it is residential and full of restaurants etc. Very nice.
In Palermo, you have the Viejo, Soho and Hollywood areas, each bordering each other and easily walked from one to the other in an afternoon..
Soho is fun for an afternoon of shopping and for going to restaurants .. it is busy and noisy on weekends and being close to clubs and restaurants would not be what I would want for a quiet apartment atmosphere.
Same in Recoleta.

My advice is do more reading on the barrios and look at photos ..
www.apartmentsba.com
www.buenosaireshabitat.com
www.shortstayinba.com
And even Craigslist.com are good for finding an apt that you will like.

I don't know the rules on gyms here for non-members but I cannot imagine visiting here and taking time out to spend it in a gym. In addition to the fact that you will no doubt walk yourselves into the ground each day and fall into bed at night exhausted.
How long will you be here?
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all that advice. I'll take more time to go through rental agency web sites.

And Scarlett - you no doubt are right, more than likely I will not visit a gym. Hopefully the walking will take care of all the food and wine I'm planning on consuming Have been looking forward to the Argentinian cuisine for 5 years which is the last time I visited.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 11:20 AM

I just came back from Buenos Aires a little over a week ago and stayed at the Hollywood Lofts and Suites, on Nicaragua between Juan B. Justo and Humbolt, in Palermo Hollywood. I got it off of expedia.com for US$133. a night.

It was a new, ultra modern building with great security.The size was 600 square feet. You can read the reviews on Trip Advisor. I've written one there.

Warning-I find Buenos Aires to be very noisy....train noise, traffic noise, barking dogs, etc. So pack foam earplugs. It's noisier than any city I've been in and I'm from L.A. area.

As far as Palermo Soho or any other area, it's VERY important, in Buenos Aires, to know the cross streets.

I've been all morning, on the Mac, looking at places in Palermo Soho, for my August trip. The city was so fabulous that I plan to return.

As of yesterday, I got a message, on trip advisor, of a great place to possibly rent. Check it out...stayinpalermo.com. The owners, of the house, are American and rent it out. They live in Illinois. One has to rent for a minimum of a week. They take payments, by personal check or credit cards through pay pal. But, they prefer personal checks.

I've looked their street up, on my Palermo map that I got while staying at the apartment building, and their house is in Palermo Viejo bordering Soho. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Do you think you could give us the whole link, Guenmai?
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM

When I was first planning my trip to Buenos Aires, I had planned to rent an apartment from buenosaireshabitat.com. I had originally planned to go in August, but just happened to find a VERY cheap airfare and went in December. So, I had to book a place to stay real fast...within three weeks before my departure date. So, I scratched the idea of renting through buenosaireshabitat.com and went on expedia.com.

Well, I was just looking at the buenosaireshabitat.com website and was curiously looking at apartments listed in Palermo when I saw my exact building listed on their website. There's only one building on the corner of Nicaragua and Humbolt and it's the one I just stayed at. There's a huge apartment complex across the street, but no one has moved in yet.

The BIG difference is that when booking with buenosaireshabitat.com , one has to put up the equivalent of the cost of one week's rent, in a security deposit. Many agencies ask for a security deposit.

By booking the same building through expedia.com, there was no security deposit to have to deal with. Plus, I got the apartment discounted from over US$200. a night, the original price, to US$133. a night.

The building that I'm talking about is listed on buenosaireshabitat.com apt#336. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM

Also apartments # 309 and #335 are apartments in the building that I was in. So, if you choose this building, in Palermo, you might be better off going through expedia.com. At least I got free breakfast delivered to my apartment every morning and maid daily made service.

In that building, there are permanent residents who own their units along with those of us who rent out for short stay. All of the units have not been sold, so this is a way to make money on unsold units. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Correction, " daily maid service." My fingers are typing faster than my brain is working! Happy Travels!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 01:42 PM

Avrooster....It's stayinpalermo.com.

I'm not outlining stuff in blue, the computer automatically does it, so sometimes the incorrect blued words just need to be read around. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Guenmai:

That place looks fabulous! So does the building you just stayed in.

I was in Buenos Aires in November and stayed in Palermo Soho at the Legado Mitico. Loved it.

I am so glad you enjoyed your trip. Did you do a trip report?
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 03:25 PM

I did a short trip report in this Latin forum, but forgot to put it in the Argentina section so it got mixed in with the general Latin threads.

The extensive trip report I put in the Asia forum, as I'm a regular there, and they were interested in me posting there. You can access it over there. I'll top it for you. It's either at the bottom 50 or has just rolled into the top 51-100.

I just got an e-mail from another place that I'm considering staying at, palermosoholoft.com.

They only have 4 lofts in the whole building and this last e-mail to me, I was told that they would give me a discount of 10% if I paid in cash. I asked for a cash discount. So, I can just count out the Benjamins. So, that will be 10% off of US$180. a day,taxes included. I haven't made up my mind totally yet. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM

Thanks for topping that....