Search

Bridge report? Shillmac??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridge report? Shillmac??

Anyone know any history about the single lane bridge on the way from Santa Rosa to La Fortuna. I recently went over a single lane brige that has warning signs all over it. Taxi's and small cars were going over it and when in Rome do as the Romans do. Just wondering about it.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

San Ramon not Santa Rosa..
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:10 PM

I wondered the same thing. We went over it in November. Thank goodness we saw another car do it first, because we were a little nervous after seeing all the busses parked on either side. Obviously they weren't going over!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

ShSue, we thought it was crazy to do also. We said "no way" at first, but then saw others doing it. I was wondering if they blocked the road so no trucks could go over. Took a movie of the "experience" on the digital camera to show others how crazy it was.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:25 PM

I don't know the history of it, but do remember it! We were last on it in December of 2003. Seems ages ago! It took me awhile to think of the bridge you were referring to (there are so many one laned bridges!), but I remember this one is rather long, right?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks shillmac, yes it is quite long and High. I was in Costa Rica last week and wondered if you knew anything special about the bridge. I hadn't read anything about it before and was surprised about the condition. Structure wise, it looked ok, but the road (concrete slabs) looked suspect. Just another surprise while traveling that road to La Fortuna. Thanks for the post.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:47 AM

I had forgotten about it. I asked my husband last night, and he couldn't even remember, which I thought was odd! He's the one who drove over it--actually more than once since we explored back and forth on that road during one of our stays. It made me nervous then (that was at the beginning of our driving in CR experiences); I'm sure it would be even more nerve-wracking now! Glad you made it across!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:43 AM

I remember reading a post a while back (after our trip) about someone who came across that bridge in the middle of the night in the rain while travelling on the bus. Everyone got off and picked up their suitcases and started walking across the bridge to catch another bus on the other side, and they had no choice but to follow. Scary!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:01 PM
sneaker59

Are you folks from the prairies? That's not even a big drop, maybe 600 feet. The big trucks use that bridge and it is safe.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:33 PM

Well, yes, I am from the prairies!
Is it so obvious?

We were just reminiscing. . .I hadn't thought about that one in a long time. It's high enough and while it may be entirely safe, that doesn't make it any less hair-raising!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:36 AM

There were no big trucks going over that bridge when we were there in November. There were huge mounds of gravel blocking the entrance to the bridge on both sides. We four-wheeled it over them and squeezed through in our little SUV, but there's no way a big truck could have gone over or around those piles.