Search

Bocas or San Blas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bocas or San Blas

Am I trying to do too much in to little time?
Thur: Arrive Panama City 8:46pm
Fri: To Bocas del Toro 6:30am
Sat: Bocas
Sun: To Panama City 9:35am day in Panama
Mon: To San Blas 6:00am
Tue: San Blas
Wed: San Blas to Panama 7:00am
Thur: Panama City to US 7:05am
We love to snorkel and see the cultural areas of a country. Not really into the tourist traps. Are we trying to squeeze in too much? Thanks for all your help.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Personally, your plan would work for me. We just returned from Panama, and we spent four nights in Panama City--with a late night arrival jut like you--then one day doing the Canal/Gamboa, one day in the jungle rappelling/visiting an Indian village, and one day in Colonial Panama, then we flew to the San Blas (Coral Lodge) for three nights), then back to PC for one night before an early-am departure to the US. Sounds like your 6:00 am flight to the San Blas is the one we took also, although we did not fly back, we took a boat to a car to a train, giving us more time there. Three nights in the San Blas was perfect--not too many or too few. Three days in PC was perfect too, for what we wanted to see or do. If we had two more days, we would have squeezed in David/Boquette, but just didn't have it. If you don't mind moving hotels four times (we changed three times), your plan is okay. The snorkeling in the San Blas was awful, though, as was the birding and the diving (according to other guests where we stayed--we went strictly for the R&R but would have snorkeled had it been good). I'm happy to answer any questions you have--and I'll be posting some reviews here and on TripAdvisor soon (for the Coral Lodge, the Radisson Decapolis, the Bristol, Panama Pete Adventures/Adventures in Panama, the Cross-Isthmus Train Ride, Flamenco Island).
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:19 AM

I just looked at the title to your post--and if you are asking which one to choose, I can only say that as far as Bocas in concerned, it seemed more rustic and Spring Break-like that we wanted. Punta Caracol looked lovely, however, and we would have stayed there had we gone to Bocas. But the Coral Lodge near the San Blas had A/C in the rooms and a pool, so it won out. As far as staying on the actual San Blas, we toured them (landed on El Porvenir, breakfasted on another, and walked around Nalunega) and it was WAY too rustic for me. Using an outhouse that is positioned over the water is WAY too rustic. And then I'm supposed to snorkel in that same water? No thanks, not for me, personally, but it certainly was very Gilligan's Island, Survivor, and Lost-like, which obviously appeals to some, just not me.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Fluffnfold-Thanks for your help. Coral Lodge did look really nice but I am also budget minded. I do like rustic but not like Survivor.
I don't want to snorkel in sewage either. Is this why snorkeling was bad there? Was the area dead from sewage, cloudy or just nothing to see? What else did you do in the San Blas area?
I'm too chicken to rappell but would like visiting the Indian Village. Am debating if I should cancel San Blas and stay on mainland more. I guess we can do our snorkeling in Bocas del Toro.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 02:07 PM

We stayed at the Dolphin Lodge in San Blas for two nights a couple years ago. We did have an indoor toilet, but no hot water. Great time. The village on the next island was fascinating. Snorkeling off another uninhabited island was wonderful. Great visibility and lots of coral and fish. It wasn't cheap, but worth every penny.

We also spent almost a week in Bocas. Unfortunately, it rained every single day. Hard. And it was cold. As in long pants and jackets. So, no snorkeling for us there. We stayed at Cocomo by the Sea. Great little B&B. No beach right there, but a very short boat ride away is Isla Bastimentos and some lovely beaches. It's an interesting town, some day we'll go back and hopefully have better weather.

If I had to choose between the two places in Panama, I'd go to San Blas. Bocas is much more like other tropical island beach destinations. The culture of the Kuna Indians make the San Blas islands a very special place.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 02:10 PM

The snorkeling is good in San Blas. The trips take you around uninhabited islands where there is no human waste in the water. No, nobody in their right mind should go snorkeling or swimming off El Porvenir or any of the populated islands.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Just wanted to clear up the fact that the Coral Lodge is beautiful, and they have regular bathrooms. The hotels where you went right into the sea were on the San Blas/Kuna Islands--one was named Nalunega, but I'm not sure of the name of the other that we visited. While my flight landed on El Porvenir, I didn't see any outhouses over the water, but I'm sure that they were there as well.

I'm not sure why the snorkeling at Coral Lodge wasn't better--the water was crystal clear, but there just didn't seem to be a lot of fish, even though the over-the-water bungalows are positioned within the coral reef. We did stop at a private island in the San Blas called Wailydup (my spelling may be off), which was absolutely gorgeous, and the snorkeling there seemed better. Someone is our group was even able to pick up a starfish that was larger than a dinner plate and really amazing.

We didn't do anything else in the San Blas except visit the Kuna Indians (although we much preferred the Embrera Indians that we visited from Panama City), and rest and relax. We had the option to do some excursions from the Coral Lodge like kayaking, horseback riding, fishing, etc, but we didn't partake. The rappelling really wasn't scary--hiking up was much scarier than coming down.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for everyone's help. Now I'm thinking about dropping Bocas del Toro and spending more time in the interior. Would really like to see the Embrera village. (So much to do, so little time)
Looks like Coral Lodge is full(waited too long) checking into Dolphin Lodge.
Fluffnfold: Was the private island you were talking about Yandup? They have an all inclusive there too.I'm getting so confused.
Anyone know which is better? Yandup or Dolphin Lodge?
Thanks again everyone- I need all the help I can get.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 05:39 AM

I'm not sure of the name of island where we had breakfast, but it was very small and very crowded (and I'm almost positive that it wasn't Yandup). There were two couples staying there, but it meant using outdoor bathrooms and traveling to the other islands to find something to do. There were no stores, school, church or anything on that island that I could see. Very small with very little open space to roam.

Nalunega seemed much nicer and bigger. There was a decent hotel which had traditional bathrooms and running water, as well as a small beach. Nalunega had a nice school, some small shops (although they were in hut-type structures), a small Kuna museum (again in a hut), a large basketball court, etc. It was possible to walk around there, and that island was really cute and very Gilligan's Island-like. I could have spent the night there if necessary (not like on the first island), although the accommodations were still a bit rustic for my taste.

The private island where we snorkeled and had lunch was called Wailydup (the spelling may be incorrect). There was nowhere to stay on that island. There were two houses for the people who lived there and run the snack-bar (they also had decent restrooms), but that's about it. But it was absolutely beautiful with white sand, palm trees, really blue water, and plenty of place to walk around (although the island wasn't huge).
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 05:22 PM

We're going to Panama in May & I would love some feedback on the area. We're staying at Royal Decameron for a week but venturing out for 1 night to San Blas. We're booked for the Dad Ibbe Lodge & if anyone's stayed there I'd be interested in hearing about it. We're a family with 3 kids ages 10,13 & 18. I was also wondering about rental car companies..any feedback??
Thanks!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks fluffnfold for your help. Nalunega looks good but I worry because they say all the cruise ships visit there and I hate being caught up in all the tourist. Would like to take a day trip there though.
Petite1
Dadibe lodge looks great. I had come across it before but then forgot about it. Hoping they reply with availability.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Petit 1 - I have a reservation for Dad Ibe Lodge the end of March. I'll let you know how it is.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 03:27 AM

That's great!! I'll be looking for it.
Enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Petit 1.
We're back and we loved it. Stayed at Hotel Milan- $38.50 a night. Couldn't beat it. Very clean,large,new,great location,computer in lobby with internet. Walked down the street and rented a car from dollar car rental. Emailed ahead and got better prices. Recomend only drive on weekends in the city. Crazy driving on weekdays.Hard enough understanding maps. Good maps in Panama Real Estate magazines ( in hotel lobbies). Car rental maps are bad.
Dad Ibe Lodge was great. With teens I don't recommend more than one night though because I think they would be bored. Sam speaks english and will take you around Kuna village and to Kuna cemetary. Very interresting.
The island is about the size of half a football field. Very clean,breeze all the time, no bugs. just Great! Reef around island great for walking out to snorkel. Hammacks and good food. Electricity from 6:00pm till 9:30.
Have a great time.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the report! I'm glad you had such a good time & that you give the Dad Ibbe the thumbs up. I've only booked 1 night as you suggested because I know they'd be bored if we stayed any longer than that. How was the flight to the island? I'm a little nervous about those small planes.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

The flight was no problem. Alex's sister met us at the airport in Panama city to make sure check in went ok. We took Air Panama and it was a 20 seater. We left most of our luggage at the hotel in Panama City since we were coming back. They say they are very strick about each person only taking 25 lbs. We ended up only having 25 lbs between the 2 of us.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 05:10 PM

Thanks so much for all the info!!