Merida and area this March..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I just booked our air in and out of Merida for eight nights. We arrive on a Sunday evening and leave the following Monday. Planning on spending the last 1-3 Nights in Merida so that we can enjoy the weekend festivities. We want to have time to relax at 1-2 Haciendas. I can't figure out out which Hacienda would give us the most luxurious feel with spa and calmness as well as proximity to sights? We are interested in seeing if possible the Uxmal and other Puuc sites and would like to do a day trip to Celestun (for bird watching) If possible but not necessary as well as Chichen Itza and some caves. My only regret is that we will not be going to Tulum. I imagine we will rent a car when we land in Merida. This is a big anniversary trip, if any of you Yucatan experts can recommend special sights, restaurants or hotels please do. We look forward to blending great ruins with relaxation.

My questions:
1. What Hacienda, San Jose, Santa Rosa or Temozon?
Should we stay in one or two? as we have a total of 8 nights which needs to include Merida.
2. Where should we stay in Merida? We want to be very comfortable with an easy walk to the center of town
3. We love cities, should we be spending more time in Merida and taking "day trips?" or plan on spending 5-6 nights in the country side leaving the last 2-3 nights in Merida? thank you

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Is there anyone that can help me with a 8 night Yucatan itinerary?
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 06:45 PM

We loved Casa Mexilio in Merida. We stayed 2 nights if I remember correctly. Great zocalo in the evening there. Rented a car and drove to Celestun, just for the day. Was easy to hook up with a boat/driver in town and zip out to see the flamingoes (this was early March). They were fabulous. Lots of other birds as well. Went to Uxmal and really enjoyed it too. We had lunch at a lovely hacienda and toured it. Sorry I can't remember its name. It will be a great trip! The weekend festivities in Merida are fun to see. Celestun's just a dusty little town. We had lunch there at one of the beachside restaurants.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:00 PM

You did not say when your trip is. If you have not already gone, here's what I can tell you. We stayed at Hacienda Temozon last June for two nights and were sorry we couldn't stay longer. It was wonderful. Very quiet, perhaps four rooms were occupied. The service and food were excellent. It was a welcome escape from the madness of typical tourist areas. We did not stay in Merida, so I can't help you there. Uxmal was great for a morning. We would have liked to see more of the Puuc route. While in Merida, be sure to eat at Eladios--fabulous yucatecan food! If heading toward Chichen Itza, find time to head up to Ek Balaam--they are doing a beautiful restoration in great detail.
YES, rent a car and go... Enjoy.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:02 PM

OOPs! Just realized hookedtogo's heading says March. Hope this reply helps the next Yucatan traveler!