Birding

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birding

Looking for a day trip or overnight to good birding places up to 1 -2 hours from san jose.

would prefer it not to be too hot and humid and not require driving over bad roads to get there. (realize this might be difficult)>

Old Oct 6th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Hands down, Rio Savegre area the winner on this one! Located south of San Jose, high in the Cerro de la Muerte area, Hotel Savegre will pick you up for $15 per person out of San Jose. Or you can take the public bus San Jose to the drop off point on the highway that leads down a narrow road to the hotel. They'll pick you up from there as well. About 1.5 hour from San Jose to the hotel.

Marino Chacon is a fabulous birding guide--very knowledgeable and so enthusiastic. There are a couple of other excellent guides as well. One is Melvin, the other name escapes me!

Beautiful area, very cool (blankets at night!), cloud forest, gorgeous trails for birding, waterfalls, trout fishing, apple orchards, biggest hydrangeas you've EVER seen! Hummingbirds galore, calla lilies growing wild. Just a gorgeous, gorgeous place!

Another hotel in the same area is the Trogan Lodge. We liked Savegre, but both are probably quite comparable in what they offer. I just cannot imagine another birding guide to be quite as excellent as Marino, however. Would DEFINITELY go back!
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Is it possible to do this in a day trip from vista? del valle? or would it be necessary to stay overnight?
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Best birding begins around 7:00 a.m. This is cloud forest and prone to rain in the afternoon. You would be missing out if you didn't spend a night, IMO. I don't think it would be an option for you at any rate. Arrival around noon would allow you a few afternoon hours to horseback ride or hike to the falls or trout fish! You could do your birding early the next a.m. Although Marino can certainly go from 7:00 a.m. until 6:00 in the evening with a short break for lunch (for $50)! This is what my birding experience was. He just couldn't stand to quit! We were lucky with little rain that day. First time for me--it was fun and very interesting!
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 03:29 PM

What Shillmac said! Savegre is magnificent, beautiful, a special, special place. And Marino is OUTSTANDING! There is a good chance that you will spot the spectacular quetzel.

The only point that doesn't fit your criteria is "not require driving over bad roads". The drive is a bit hairy. Taking the shuttle was my definite preference -much more relaxing!

We stayed three nights, and would have liked to have stayed longer! I suppose it could be done in a daytrip, but I would allow the overnight, and longer if you can manage it.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 03:42 AM
nkd

If you are staying at Vista del Valle, you are going to have incredible birding right there. Contact them and ask to arrange a bird guide for a few hours. Start before breakfast ans ask them to have a late breakfast that morning. You are going to be surprised how many species you are going to see right on the property and near by. The last part of the road to hotel savegre is terrible.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 04:13 AM

nkd is correct in that there is excellent birding pretty much anywhere. We've seen all kinds of birds in the city park at Golfito--and elsewhere. Seeing birds is never a problem.

However, if you are interested in seeing the quetzal (which we were) and experiencing a different climate zone and its variation in plant life (which we were) you would enjoy the short trip south.

True, the last 9km down to Savegre is not paved, but I don't recall it being terrible. We stopped a couple of times on the way down to look through binoculars at birds. It was enjoyable--we were visiting with the driver. But, of course, road condition is always a matter of perspective. We like to fish and are used to traveling down some dirt roads (some even with ruts!) occasionally here in our home state. . .
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 09:10 AM

Jan-Mar are great times for the Quetzals in San Gerardo de Dota although they can be seen most of the year with more effort. The people at Savegre are great and the grounds around Trogon Lodge are prettier than Savegre so you won't loose by staying at either place if you decide to spend a night. Don't recommend this trip in the dark as the main highway can get horribly socked in with fog. If you are going during the above months do pay to go to the private finca. You will be able to just sit and watch the Quetzals for hours. We had them flying all around us. It is when the avocados are ready so they are feeding. It is also breeding time so they will all be in full feather.

Other options for more serious birders is Rancho Naturalista in Turrialba. Their morning wake up is famous. They have full coffee pots on the balcony and, like clockwork, the birds take turns eating from the bushes and feeding stations below. Their hummingbird stations are awesome. The food is wonderful there also.

From Vista del Valle you could go up to La Paz. Dr Sakarek (sp?) is a very respected ornithologist and you can go on a morning tour with him. I would recommend you set this up ahead of time as he is very booked up and also takes tours to places other than La Paz.

Another option just a tiny bit further would be to go to the Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui area and go out with a guide at La Selva. Again, advance reservations required.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

What? where? is the private finca you refer to? also San Gerardo de Dota?

thanks
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Yes, the private finca is in San Gerardo de Dota. No point in going there (the finca) unless it is time for the avocados to be ripe. We were there in Feb. and Aug. Feb is when we saw so many. Just ask anywhere down in that area where it is. We went with one of the Chacon family members as a guide(Savegre Lodge). There must have been at least 15-20 quetzals flying all around us for several hours. It is one of those moments you never forget.

We also took a horseback ride to the waterfall (with yet another member of the Chacon family) while there and saw several other trogons. The trogons are some of my favorites.

You could check with Savegre now to ask what the best month would be to go for that if this is a priority for your trip. Mating/ Breeding time generally starts around the end of Jan. and is in full bloom the end of Feb into March. It is also when the Quetzals head up over the mountains into Monteverde. It is my understanding, from what we have been told, that the Monteverde Quetzals are not as common as they used to be due to the deforestation on the lower areas of the mountains. The Toucans are nest predators of the Quetzals and they have moved further up the mountains into the Quetzal habitat. Last time I was in Monteverde I was very surprised to look out over a valley and see a toucan flying by although I had seen them further down the mountain on our first trip many years ago.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:12 PM

Just wanted to add another vote for Savegre Lodge and a walk with Marino Chacon. We were there in May and saw 3 quetzals within 10 ft. A male and 2 females. Fabulous viewings. Also many other wonderful birds. It's a great property - a lovely drive there (but get it done in the am as others have advised) and Marino is just a terrific guide! We loved it.