Sarapiqui Area vs. San Gerardo de Dota?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2012, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, guys - I'm interested in adding a birding area onto our next trip to Arenal. I keep reading good things about the Sarapiqui area and the San Gerardo de Dota area. Of these two, which is your favorite if you absolutely had to pick one? What are your favorite hotels and activities in each area? It sounds like the Sarapiqui area is warmer and more tropical and San Gerardo de Dota is more of a cloud forest environment. Toucans at one and quetzals at the other? Can't wait to hear your recommendations. Are there any restaurants in these areas, or do you mostly eat at the lodge? How far are they from SJO and from Arenal? Thanks for any guidance you can give me.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 02:39 PM

Just to muddy the waters a little for you vg, also look into Bosque de Paz. It was 2 hours or so from SJ if I remember correctly. Lots of birds, pacas, agoutis & coatis. I just yesterday posted a video from a couple years ago on their FB page , really nice alongside the rushing river. Only bummer my trip was I booked for 4 nights but had to leave after 3 - it was pretty nippy and I just had not thought to bring appropriate clothing, I simply couldn't bear it anymore with just shorts & tees.

Sarapiqui is definitely hot, but never oppressive IMO. I stayed at Selva Verde, in one of the bungalows. Most people stay on the river side but I just loved them. Had a/c, a little fridge & coffee maker, huge bathroom, plus screened in porch w/fan. They are about a 10 minute walk (lighted, concrete trail that is covered) from the river rooms & restaurant. I think half the reason I liked so much was no one else was up there so I kind of had the whole place to myself.

Haven't been to San Gerardo de Dota.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 02:44 PM
RAC

Haven't been to San Gerardo, but from what I hear it's very similar to Monteverde in terms of bird activity.

Generally, lowland areas have more species than highland areas.

When we visited the Sarapiqui area, we saw crazy numbers of toucans (three different species) and parrots, with loads of tanagers and trogons as well. Raptors, orioles, manakins, etc. We saw a semi-plumbeous kite kill an iguana and call out to his mate to offer it as food. Also tons of howler monkeys, peccaries, and even a tayra.

We saw more small mammals and birds (wooly possum, raccoon, bats) than we did in Corcovado (Corcovado had more big mammals--monkeys all the way up to tapirs).

The bird most people have as their goal to see is the great green macaw.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 04:25 PM

After visiting both these places twice,I would have to say -Sarapiqui.I love the cool mountain air and the awesome hiking of SGDD but there's really not a whole lot else to do (birding,hiking) and you are very limited in your choice of restaurants.Lots of birds for sure but we have never seen any monkeys,sloths,coatis or any other kind of mammal than the two-legged variety.In Sarapiqui you have many more choices- rafting,hiking,ziplines,chocolate tours, bat encounters,tubing, and of course some awesome birding!Honeycreepers are especially abundant and like RAC stated lots of Toucans and their relatives- one early morning at La Selva I counted over 30 Keel billed and Chestnut Mandibled Toucans feeding in one tree!Have come across packs of peccaries,coati,monkeys,sloth,crocs,caimen,tons of poison dart frogs and even the occasional pit viper while hiking in Sarapiqui-lots of nice critters!I would recommend staying somewhere with AC- it is hot-hot-hot.As far as dining you have lots of small sodas and most of the hotels have their own restaurants,one really good place is La Casona at Ara Ambigua hotel- they have a pretty varied menu and some really good pizza.The place we have stayed(La Quinta de Sarapiqui)has fairly basic rooms,good AC,and every 2-3 days the hotel owner does a barbecue out back-it's quite a spread!
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 10:59 PM

Being twice in Sarapiqui and once in San Gerardo:
1. scenery is better in San Gerardo
2. hiking / walking is better in San Gerardo
3. wildlife is more abundant and diverse in Sarapiqui
4. more restaurants and easier to find in Sarapiqui
5. from San Jose both are similar distance in time
6. from Arenal Sarapiqui is closer

If you are planning to stay more then 2/3 nights then Sarapiqui has much more different things to do / places to visit then San Gerardo. Also important fact is where are you going to from each place.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 08:20 AM

So hard to compare, but I think Sarapiqui gets my vote - even though there are many more hummingbirds at San Gerardo! There is an abundance of wildlife and activities in the Sarapiqui region that you just don't get at San Gerardo. But, if the quetzal is your goal....you won't get them in Sarapiqui.

Check out the lodges on Costa Rica Gateways website - they specialize in birding tours. Have you thought about Rancho Naturalista? http://www.costaricagateway.com/lodges

Sarapiqui is easier to get to and you can stay night before an early afternoon flight. Haven't really explored town since we've always eaten at Selva Verde (ok, nothing great) or at La Selva. We've never had a problem with no a/c at Selva Verde, ceiling fans have been fine.

And Tully's right - Bosque de Paz is a fantastic cloud forest environment and the meals were some of the best I've had in the country. It is chilly though, but lots of blankets for sleeping. If you are going to Arenal on your next trip (I'm sure!) then BdP is a very easy drive from Zarcero. http://www.bosquedepaz.com/
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone - I think I'm leaning towards Sarapiqui; abundance of wildlife has a big appeal to me. Plus it sounds like there are a lot of additional activities available. We ate lunch at Tirimbina when we went rafting - isn't that in this same area?

Tully, thanks for the additional rec. I'll check it out too.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 09:43 AM

Yes, VG, Tirimbina is right there - we had fun on their chocolate tour one year.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
RAC

We did three tours at Tirimbina--chocolate, bat, and night hike. All three were really cool. Plus, if you have your own vehicle, you can raft the Pacuare from there--you're closer to Rios Tropicales's headquarters there than you are in San Jose (but you have to drive yourself).

Heliconia Island is a gorgeous botanical garden (with an on-site B&B).

Also the indigenous people's museum next door to Tirimbina.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Lots of good info. here - thanks, guys. Is it possible to walk to Tirimbina from Selva Verde? Or can you get taxis in the area?
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 09:51 AM

No, it's not walking distance from what I remember. Selva Verde can arrange your transfers to Tirimbina, La Selva, boat rides, etc. We never took any taxis. PV isn't a large town and Selva Verde is located a short drive outside of it.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 01:30 PM

Definitly not walking distance- Tirimbina is on the west side of the "loop" in La Virgin- about 15 mins. driving from Selva Verde. If you continue on down the road you come to San Miguel and then Cariblanco which is a neat drive with the Barva Volcano dominating the skyline.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone - Sarapiqui sounds amazing. How far is it from SJO and from Arenal?
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 07:20 AM
RAC

Figure 2 hours from each. Maybe less in the case of Arenal, which involves fewer mountains to drive around.

The drive to Sarapiqui from SJO is amazing--you drive through Braulio Carrillo National Park--amazing mountain/cloud forest vistas, waterfalls, etc.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 04:24 PM

In the Sarapiqui area you might want to check out www.heliconiaisland.com The website doesn't do it justice but the grounds are fantastic. We saw more variety of birds there than at La Selva!
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 07:41 AM
RAC

There are also rooms at Heliconia Island. Very nice couple running the place. They love showing the place off.
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, and thanks for the info. on Heliconia Island as well - have not heard of that one before.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Okay, after all your great input, we've decided to go to the Sarapiqui area and stay at Selva Verde! Does anyone know what the weather is like in September? I'm thinking pretty hot and humid during the day and then cooling off some at night. Does that sound about right? Would you expect to get some rain each day?

Looking forward to seeing lots of good critters!

Do you guys think we would see about the same types of birds and mammals at Selva Verde and La Selva if we did tours, birding, night hikes, etc.? Is there any advantage to one over the other?
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 05:01 AM

vg I would still do the morning tour at La Selva, even if you do the other tours at SV like the free bird watching tour or their wildlife hike across the water. The morning tour at La Selva (I think it starts around 8am) is really worth it IMO, to see some of the projects they are working on and their trails. The guide we had was really top notch. It was very easy to taxi there, I just set up with the front desk at SV. We did see peccaries at La Selva which I wasn't expecting!
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 05:01 AM

Selva Verde sits on the northern border of La Selva, so yes pretty much the same wildlife in both places, but I would still plan at least a 1/2 day(morning) tour of La Selva to increase your odds of seeing something different. Have only visited in March/April so don't know much about the weather in Sept. but hot, humid and wet sounds about right!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -