Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Best places for White water rafting & Zip Lining in Poas or Arenal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Author: hamburger
Date: 06/17/2007, 07:37 pm

We will be staying two nights near Poas (at the volcano lodge) and 3 nights in Arenal (at Parais Lodge -- thanks Shellmac for both of those recommendationsand I am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to where a good place would be in these areas to do a 1/2 day white river raft (class 2-3 or 3-4 as we'll be with our 10 and 12 year olds and it is their first time on white water other than a float down the Snake River in WY) and, the second question is the best place to do the Zip Lines in this area.

Also, we will been in Poas for two days -- other than the volcano and the waterfalls, what should we do there? We like to hike and want to see animals.

Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:54 PM

I think Arenal Paraiso has some ziplines of it's own if I'm not mistaken. Not positive though. We thouroghly enjoyed the zips with Aventuras. You get to go over the falls and canyons and they include horseback riding at the end.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:52 PM

Definitely skytram. We did the Mundo Adventura canopy tour. One of my party was advised by a guide not to do the zipline and was told by the guide that they would be refunded but then at the end of the trip the management refused to honor the refund. They were fortunate as my wife went on the zipline and was hurt with a significant bruise and wire burns due to the lack of adequate braking system.

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:08 PM

There are different kinds of braking systems. The Aventuras ziplines I was referring to uses the hand-braking system, where one hand stays behind you holding onto the line. You need to be aware of how it works, and be able to squeeze the brake as necessary. If you do something they tell you not to do (such as remove your hand from the line and your body changes direction), either out of panic or fear, there's always a possibility of injury.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:31 PM

The Skytrek/Skytram ziplines in Arenal get good reviews.