Best place for a quick trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a vacation at the end of February. We love adventure and exploring cultures but with a dash of luxury (still newlyweds). Unfortunately this trip is very short (3 or 4 nights). Don't know how much we can actually do in this time and still relax. Here are some places that have interested us thus far. Any advice or thoughts would be very helpful.
1. Isla Mujeres (Hotel Secreto)
2. Playa del Carmen (Mosquito Blue or Blue Parrot)
3. Belize (Blancaneaux or Kantanik)
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 05:32 AM

Secreto on Isla Mujeres! LOVE that place! Nice, quiet hotel on a beautiful beach with tons of shopping and restaurants in walking distance. Not nearly as crazy and crowded as Playa Del Carmen, although Mosquito Blue is lovely. Don't know about Belize as I've not been there yet, but I've booked a charter sail for a week in January!
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 05:44 AM

We just returned last week from a six night stay at Hotel Playa la Media Luna, which is right next door to Hotel Secreto on Isla Mujeres. We had a wonderful time. And not very expensive. Lots of very good restaurants. You can see the sunrise from your room, then walk the four or five blocks to the other side of the island for sunset. Friendly people too.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 06:35 AM

Blancaneaux is a really nice place up in the Pine woods. The bathrooms are open to the sky. It is totally isolated and the roads are almost non existent. Problem is, you are pretty much stuck there unless you want to spend a fortune on a tour every day. We did and really enjoyed everything. Went to Caracol, Waterfalls, Rio Frio, San Ignacio, Guatemala, and a little village called San Antonio where our mayan guide lived. We also went to another ruins not far from San Ignacio which I can't remember how to spell. We got to it by a little raft like float across a river.
I used to go to Cozumel frequently but Isla Mujeres is much better now because it isn't so crowded.
Either of those places would be good. It all depends on what your preferences are...beach or forest.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help Ally and JeanH. Did either of you visit any ruins on the mainland while staying in Isla Mujeres?
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 07:14 AM

I've only been to Tulum a couple times, but not while I was on Isla. It's very beautiful, but very hot. If you go, be sure to go EARLY and bring a swimsuit as the ocean there is great.
It's not as spactacular as I've heard others to be, but I enjoyed it.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Susie2 - If you don't mind me asking, about how much can you expect to pay for the day excursions at Blancaneaux? They don't list any prices on the website. But my husband is very interested in this place.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

oh, and food. Do they charge you to death for food since you don't have any other options?
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 08:23 AM

I've been to Tulum and Chitzen Itza, but neither while on Isla Mujeres. With the short amount of time that you have, I don't think I'd go to either. They would both make for a really long day. If you really want ruins, I'd reconsider Playa Del Carmen. Very easy to get to Tulum from there; also easy to get to Coba.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 10:06 AM

Suzie2, do you mean you went to Xunantunich archeological site? Do they still have a hand operated ferry across the river? We saw many birds there.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 10:48 AM

That was it! We were there a couple of years ago.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 10:59 AM

I am thinking it was about $150 per day for the guide and transportation. It was a private guide just for us. With so few options we just sucked it up and put it on our bill and paid at the end. I'm not sure how it broke down.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:59 AM

Jenifermac,

I went to Isla Mujeres in May 2002. I went for a week, spent the first 4 days in Cancun (hated it--too touristy) and spent the remainder on Isla Mujeres. We (boyfriend and I) spent our first night at Villa Rolandi. The BEST HOTEL ON THE ISLAND--NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!- This hotel is pricey, the very reason we only stayed one night, but it's worth every penny. They great you with mimosa's and refreshing cool towel. Your choice of lunch or dinner is included with you stay, wonderful food! Rooms and pool are spectacular. Stay at this hotels comes with roundtrip transportation provided from Cancun to the island on the hotel yacht. The remainder of our stay was at Hotel Secreto. This is also a really nice boutique hotel. I think there are only like 6 rooms in the hotel. Book early if you want a king size bed (as opposed to two doubles). The entire hotel is white including everything in it. Makes for a very nice comfortable stay. The rooms came equipped with a nice Bose mini-stereo system, so bring CD's. The rooms also have french doors that open up to a view of the pool and sea. A totally relaxing and quite atmosphere. The only draw back to this hotel, in my opinion, they have a poor plumbing system, oh and everything also seemed to stay moist, sheets, etc. They ask that you do not flush toilet paper. I had a big problem with this. They put a garbage next to the commode, but I really don't recommend that you take them up on this. I didn't listen and no problems were had. But overall, a great hotel and a very, very reasonable price. Also, located on the north end of the island near the beach--close walking distance. Rent a golf cart to get to the other end of the island. Hope this is helpful.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:51 AM

To the previous poster - maybe there wasn't a problem when you were there, but it didn't mean there wasn't a problem for the next guest. If they tell you not to put the TP in the toilet, they mean it! There is a reason why they tell you to do that, after all.