best mexico resort for honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are looking into lodging for our honeymoon in may 2007. getting married in akumal but want to move on for the honeymoon. wanted to sail or drive to belize but doesn't look like those are realistic options so we are looking for a nice (rustic is ok but looking for upscale since it is our honeymoon), small, secluded resort preferably south of akumal - want to stay away from playa del carmen and cancun. any suggestions? thanks!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:36 AM

Esencia?
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Maybe you'll want to stay at the new Azul in Tulum...it opens this November.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your suggestions. i couldn't find anything on the azul. is it the azul blue hotel - a karisma resort? if so, we visited its sister resort in puerto morelos and it is quite nice (although maybe a little too posh for us).
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:17 AM

Yes, that's it:

http://www.karismahotels.com/azul_blue/index.html

You must be looking to stay in/around Tulum? Or are you thinking about driving toward Mahahual?
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

we are up for anything really. we won't mind the drive if we find the right place.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM

I'm sure you know about Azulik - which is the ultimate rustic honeymoon experience in Tulum - even a bit clothing optional, if you wish.
Personally, I love La Conchita - which is next to Azulik. I think it's the best of both worlds - rustic and limited electricity.
Ana y Jose is very nice and super lux in their suites.
I'm not sure if Coqui Coqui is up and running again, but they would be great. As well as Suenos Tulum.
Into Sian Kaan, there's Xamach Dos. The only issue with them is each cabana has a private bathroom, but it is in a seperate building - weird set-up.
And farther into Sian Kaan is Sol Caribe - which is the ultimate in isolation.
Casablanca Fishing Lodge looks interesting, but I think you have to fly there. But the location looks awesome to me.
The only place in Mahahual I'd consider is Mayan Beach Garden - it seems to be about the only place with a sandy beach.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 03:11 PM

Ana y Jose is a good choice. Azulik I think would be TOO TOO rustic. Check again about driving into Belize. My friends did rent a car and drove from PDC stopping at Bacalar (very serene, but also rustic and very private and Punta Allen.)They want to go back to Bacalar and Punta Allen. Check it out.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 05:23 AM

Grand Palladium, Riviera Maya
Try: tripadvisor.com
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

blondlady - your friends rented a car and drove across the border to belize? i've heard most rental companies won't authorize the border crossing or it would be cost prohibitive. we could take the bus to the border, cab across and to the local airstrip for a 20 minute flight to one of the islands. we can handle the adventure but i'm now wondering if its too hot (or rainy) in belize that time of the year.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:13 PM

Hi bambii,
You did not say what your budget might be, but I have been to Maroma four different times. It is very close to Akumal but is also very secluded. I believe there are only about 66 rooms. The beach there is lovely. There is a great spa. They have a website. I am always hesitant to recommend a place since we all like different things and have different experiences, but we really like Maroma.
Congratulaions! and I hope you find just the right place.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for your suggestions. is tulum toristy at all? we want to stay away from that. as far as budget we are open since it is our honeymoon.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:10 PM

The town of Tulum is a real working town, but the beach area is the hotel zone - it caters to tourists looking for a beach vacation.

But it isn't touristy like PDC or Cancun. Even Akumal is a bit touristy compared to Tulum - Tulum is so laid-back, it can't be touisty.

Has anything caught you eye yet?
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:10 PM

...caught your eye yet?...
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

i think the 'hotel zone' threw me off. Coqui Coqui and the ana y jose looks nice. we might do the azul for a few nights of lux and venture on for 4 or 5 nights. are these very close to eachother?
in your opinion, is mahahaul worth going?
i don't want to jump hotels too much (don't want to have to think too much or be too much of a schedule) but that area seems like you're meant to rent a jeep and explore. i still have a few more areas to explore - punta allen, sian kaan.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM

You will have plenty to do around Tulum. You can even stay a couple of nights near Punta Allen at Sol Caribe - which might be a 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive from Tulum...it depends on the condition of the road.

Look at the map at todotulum.com. You will see the Coba Rd deadend into the Boca Paila Rd (this is the beach rd) in Tulum. The beach rd T's to the left and to the right - at the T is Azul. Ana y Jose is south a bit from there and Coqui Coqui south more. It's all very close.

Going to Mahahual is a crapshoot - you never know when a cruiseship could be docking - I heard they kinda run over the town. I'd skip it; once you get on the beach in Tulum, it'll be really hard to go any where else.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much for the info!